IGNORED

Squeaky Clutch Pedal and Clevis Pin

2377kN

Squeaky Clutch Pedal and Clevis Pin:

TLDR:  Can anyone think of any problems by drilling out the oblong clevis pin wholes on both the pedal and clevis and replacing the clevis pin with a slightly larger shifter pin?

A couple weeks ago I got around to addressing my squeaky clutch pedal.  I contorted myself under the dash and lubed everything up pretty well.  The squeak was gone, but now there is a pop feeling in the pedal travel.

Cue some research and it’s the clevis pin.  Got a replacement in the mail and swapped it in.  Removing the seat made it tolerable.  Put the seat back in and gave it a go.  The pop feeling is still there.  Time to remove the pedal and see what’s what.

After getting the pedal out It’s easy to see the problem.  The whole has worn larger, and metal flared up a bit in the oblong side of the whole on both the pedal and the clevis.  It’s the flared up metal that grinds together to make the pop feel.  Here’s some macro shots of it.  The plan is to drill out the wholes and replace the clevis pin with an extra shifter pin I have and use a couple washers to keep it from moving back and forth. 

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

No problem using a larger pin. Just make sure it's hardened, ie don't use a bolt. 

Certain crazy people have even gone as far as inserting a bearing in the pedal hole for that velvety smooth clutch feel. They shall remain nameless,  ok, me...

• Like 1

Seconding the above. Going to a larger sized pin should be fine.  Mine squeaks too, but it's further down on my priority list.

31 minutes ago, zKars said:

Certain crazy people have even gone as far as inserting a bearing in the pedal hole for that velvety smooth clutch feel.

Nice! So is it velvety smooth? Did it work out as intended?

Thanks everyone for the info.

For me, welding the hole and re-drilling was not an option.  I ended up re-drilling the whole with a 3/8" drill bit and sanded down the clevis and the pedal where they make contact.  Got a 3/8" clevis pin from McMaster-Carr (Part Number 98306A915.)  Re-assembled and lubed everything.  Feels real nice now.  When it wears out I'll look into using a bearing.  The replacement clevis pin was slightly longer than stock, so used a nylon washer.

CP_01.jpg

CP_02.jpg

CP_03.jpg