IGNORED

New 280z "Hawk" - wish me luck.

smackhq

Better question for this group.

What would you do if you had this car? 

Best steps from your experiences in rebuilding them or swapping in l28et?

Again...much thanks. Excited to prove my family wrong and someday enjoy driving her.

That's a CAS for a ZX turbo engine.  So that's good.  Many people have better luck replacing the slotted disc with one from DIYautotune.  

You don't need any of the ECU's or the AFM.

You do know that you put somebody else's personal info on the internet, in your picture?  Your manager, I assume.  Might want to do some picture cropping.  You can edit in the meantime.

4 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

That's a CAS for a ZX turbo engine.  So that's good.  Many people have better luck replacing the slotted disc with one from DIYautotune.  

You don't need any of the ECU's or the AFM.

You do know that you put somebody else's personal info on the internet, in your picture?  Your manager, I assume.  Might want to do some picture cropping.  You can edit in the meantime.

Crud...thanks. I just grabbed all the photos in a bucket and didnt see that. Not good. Deleted.

Megasquirt to replace ECU, I get that.

AFM not needed why? Not sure yet.

If it was me I would get it running with the L28ET. Madcaw here runs Megasquirt but there are more guys running it at hybridZ. Just be careful over there because they will flame you in a heartbeat. I would get it running and sort the brakes and electrical. In the meantime I would try to source doors and front fenders. The frame rails are gonna need some work and the quarter panel at the gas door is a real issue. The doors and fenders could probably be saved but if I could source some good ones, I wouldn't try.

• Like 1

The turbos have their own ecu. Stock FI is different. That dizzy spindle probably won't need replacing, people throw parts at an unknown problem. We can put on the right line up for the oil pump and dizzy shaft, 11:30 looking at a clock but there's a fat side also.

I run turbo oiled pumps  in mine it's a common upgrade.

Soooo is it turbo or just the block and head? I'd look and see if  it has dished pistons like the turbos. See what number you can find on the intake manifold. N42 would be best, non egr. Still on ky dumb phone and unable to post decent reference photos.

2 minutes ago, smackhq said:

Crud...thanks. I just grabbed all the photos in a bucket and didnt see that. Not good. Deleted.

Megasquirt to replace ECU, I get that.

AFM not needed why? Not sure yet.

Megasquirt normally runs based on a throttle body, TPS and a MAP sensor, like a modern car. The AFM controls fuel based on airflow and rpm off a programed fuel map. Relatively archaic. Megasquirt won't use it

Basically, getting Megasquirt to run your engine is a whole separate world from getting your Z to run and drive.  You have to get pretty deep in to the principles of engine control, not just getting the correct parts in the right places.  It's like the difference between painting a picture on a blank canvas compared to putting together a complicated jig saw puzzle.  They both take skill and time and the end result looks the same but they take different skills.

Browse through the Megamanual.  If you enjoy reading it you'll be fine.  If it looks like a bunch of gobbledy gook, maybe not.

1 hour ago, Captain Obvious said:

It's a 78, right? Looks like a great project.

And you're not allowed to post any more side view pics until you have removed that Z HAWK decal/paint thing.

That's just got to go!  And quick!  LOL

hahaha Agree but a little history that I heard was that this car was given to a Seattle Seahawks player when they signed. I'm having trouble coming confirming it and the original owner name doesn't come back with a hit from any Seahawks roster so I'm not sure its true. 

3 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Basically, getting Megasquirt to run your engine is a whole separate world from getting your Z to run and drive.  You have to get pretty deep in to the principles of engine control, not just getting the correct parts in the right places.  It's like the difference between painting a picture on a blank canvas compared to putting together a complicated jig saw puzzle.  They both take skill and time and the end result looks the same but they take different skills.

Browse through the Megamanual.  If you enjoy reading it you'll be fine.  If it looks like a bunch of gobbledy gook, maybe not.

Thanks. I'm up for it and have been digging into their docs and videos nightly now. Nothing too bad technically yet but I know this wont be easy. I have the MS board, seems complete and installation done correctly with exception of a few wires which I'll correct. I'm soldering up the car simulator board now to give it a test run so I'll keep you posted. I like a good challenge and learning something new so this is good for me. 

cheers