IGNORED

Turbo Conversion Set-Up

• 1 year later...

I realize this post is a couple years old but would like to get your advice/opinion on the conversion. I have a 78 280z. Bought a complete 83zx motor, transmission with a recently reman ecu and harness. I assume you installed a mega squirt system. Not sure if I should try the original setup or go the route you did minus the manifold/oil pan etc. Any advice you could throw my way would be much appreciated. Don’t know if you’ve added an inter cooler since this posting. Thanks in advance... John 

Really need to lay out your hp goals or plans for the car. If stockish L28et hp is fine for you, then the factory computer system is stupid simple to install and maintain, and even though it's not optimum to today's standards, works pretty dang well for what it is. If you're wanting to push more boost, upgrade to larger turbo, run over 300hp, etc, then look at standalone options. Megasquirt is one of the cheaper ones and has been done so many times on these engines that there is more than enough documentation to help you out. But it still comes with a learning curve and a lot of other parts / modifications required to make it function properly. 

I also don't know if your engine is a factory L28et or if it's an n/a that you're looking to convert. Either way I would highly recommend installing an intercooler as these engines are already prone to detonation, and I've logged IATs over 200* after just one pull in 85* weather. 

I thoroughly enjoy this website but it's mostly for restoration back to stock. Go to www.hybridz.org, search search and search some more, and you'll find everything you ever wanted to know pertaining to the turbo swap. 

I appreciate it. I bought a complete drivetrain out of an 83Zx ET. ECU and harness as well. I bounce back and forth on the forums. Hoover had posted a short list he had used a couple years back. The other option I have is building a stroker motor. I already bought the crank and have a p79 head as well. Too many options.

Again, really need to know your hp goals and future plans with the car. Turbo stroker is cool to say, but not necessary even for 600+ hp. It also adds quite a bit in machining and other rotating assembly parts to build. You'd be better off reallocating those funds to fuel management, more efficient turbo, intercooler, etc. Or if you're wanting a stock build, then that money would be better towards suspension, brakes, etc. 

14 hours ago, Yarb said:

I realize this post is a couple years old but would like to get your advice/opinion on the conversion. I have a 78 280z. Bought a complete 83zx motor, transmission with a recently reman ecu and harness. I assume you installed a mega squirt system. Not sure if I should try the original setup or go the route you did minus the manifold/oil pan etc. Any advice you could throw my way would be much appreciated. Don’t know if you’ve added an inter cooler since this posting. Thanks in advance... John 

You should start a thread about your project.  If you go with the original setup you;ll need to use almost exactly original parts.  No simple way to tune the 1983 Nissan system.  You'll get exactly what Nissan was getting in 1983.

@cgsheen1 has worked with the original and Megasquirt and usually has something to say.