IGNORED

My 1975 280Z heater control valve cable is broken - questions

SoCalJim

On my recently acquired 1975 280Z, the heater system had a seized control valve (water ****) and the control cable was broken about  1-1/2" from the end.  I purchased a new control valve; however, I haven't had any luck with finding a replacement cable.  I still have the broken off piece of the cable and would like advice on the best way to repair this.  Also, it looks like it would connect to the black linkage piece.  If that's correct, which hole does it connect to?  The 1975 FSM doesn't seem to describe or illustrate this.  Thanks!

And, if anyone has a spare heater control cable that they'd like to sell me, that would be greatly appreciated!  If mine was intact, it looks like it would be about 15-3/4" long.

IMG_2571.jpg

there is a tool sold at hobby shops, Z bender, a decent place would be happy to help you with it. Before the Z I was into RC models a lot and purchased one. The alternate method is to make 90 then  another 90 and twist 90.

• Like 1

Do any of you guys know the specific point where the control valve cable attaches?  In my picture above, it looks like the cable goes to the black linkage piece.  The linkage piece has two holes in it.  Any ideas as to which it the right one?  Or does it even matter?  Thanks!

6 hours ago, SoCalJim said:

Do any of you guys know the specific point where the control valve cable attaches?  In my picture above, it looks like the cable goes to the black linkage piece.  The linkage piece has two holes in it.  Any ideas as to which it the right one?  Or does it even matter?  Thanks!

It shouldn't matter that much. The furthest hole will provide the most leverage and require the shortest lever throw. If it lines up good with the mount I would go with that one. Have you looked on Ebay for a unit to see if you can tell which holes was used?

• Like 1