IGNORED

New Exhaust for my Early '71

w3wilkes

I went with the 6 to 1 ceramic coated headers from MSA and then just went to an exhaust shop and had Magnaflow with 2 1/2" pipe all the way back. Used this resonator and muffler. Very pleased with the way it turned out, both fit and sound! Not too loud and no drone while cruising. A question that I have is on the MSA catalog for their premium exhaust they talk about installing the muffler at an angle? Mine is in flat and I really like the way that it's tucked up out of site. I have zero exhaust smell in the cabin either with closed or open windows. Does anyone know why MSA says to angle the muffler?IMG_20180325_142646447.jpgIMG_20180507_154233397_LL.jpg

Edited by w3wilkes
  • Like 1

That looks great! Glad you're happy with it, same thing I have and I love it.

I think the muffler shop was able to tweak yours but I did mine myself and the only way I could get it to work was the offset hole to the rear. I honestly don't think it matters which way the flow is but there's some way smarter guys on here than me. Maybe they'll chime in.

Nice job on that install.  It looks  like the shop did some cuts and welds on the "S" section to improve the fit.  Here is the same kit I installed a few years ago, probably like yours.  For those of us that did not cut the pipe, getting the muffler tucked in and out of sight tends to present a challenge.  That's why we've had the numerous discussions on which end is "in" and "out" and tilting the muffler.

Exhaust 1.jpg

Exhaust 5.jpg

Exhaust 7.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jfa.series1 said:

Nice job on that install.  It looks  like the shop did some cuts and welds on the "S" section to improve the fit.  

Thanks!

Mine is actually not the MSA Premium exhaust system, just the coated headers are from MSA. The pipe and resonator/muffler were custom fit and installed. The resonator tucked into the tunnel extremely well. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Looks like a perfect fit! [emoji106]

As a matter of interest, what length of resonator did they put on?

My old MSA header and 2.5” pipe work could accommodate the turbo muffler horizontally.

The Z story one has a slightly shorter straight on the S pipe so a turbo muffler has to fit sideways or vertically, neither of which I like very much. It makes the car look like it has low slung “old man balls”!!

99ef1b64694ba56dbfc780e1d93d2ef6.plist&key=97025ce31d30e3c8a26d1f80c35f6a62278eb63b498587928f088dba7a837240

0d635fb13cd6f4a11f5559478fe5932d.jpg&key=328f0f38cdcd2dc4f31b1397f68ebde15061c552689c9f2c011cb646f1f6cb28

I keep switching between the Z story classic straight through and the turbo muffler for experimenting with sound levels. Clearly the Zstory is better for top end power as it flows much more freely. It sounds very NASCAR at 6k+ RPM when the sound is bouncing off the central reservation barriers! [emoji41][emoji16]

Now on flow directions. As you know, the turbo mufflers are of two kinds inside;

1. Those with three perforated pipes. Some have a curved piece of metal inside at one end to better direct the flow and some just bounce it off the end of the box. The former has better flow in the direction it’s meant for. The latter can be used both ways.

2. Those with baffles that bounce the exhaust about inside. Depending on the design these have direction for the reasons above but some tend to be unisex.

This video does an admirable job of showing you the different internals and sound comparisons ...

8 hours ago, AK260 said:

Looks like a perfect fit! emoji106.png

As a matter of interest, what length of resonator did they put on?

My old MSA header and 2.5” pipe work could accommodate the turbo muffler horizontally.

The Z story one has a slightly shorter straight on the S pipe so a turbo muffler has to fit sideways or vertically, neither of which I like very much. It makes the car look like it has low slung “old man balls”!!

99ef1b64694ba56dbfc780e1d93d2ef6.plist&key=97025ce31d30e3c8a26d1f80c35f6a62278eb63b498587928f088dba7a837240

0d635fb13cd6f4a11f5559478fe5932d.jpg&key=328f0f38cdcd2dc4f31b1397f68ebde15061c552689c9f2c011cb646f1f6cb28

I keep switching between the Z story classic straight through and the turbo muffler for experimenting with sound levels. Clearly the Zstory is better for top end power as it flows much more freely. It sounds very NASCAR at 6k+ RPM when the sound is bouncing off the central reservation barriers! emoji41.pngemoji16.png

Now on flow directions. As you know, the turbo mufflers are of two kinds inside;

1. Those with three perforated pipes. Some have a curved piece of metal inside at one end to better direct the flow and some just bounce it off the end of the box. The former has better flow in the direction it’s meant for. The latter can be used both ways.

2. Those with baffles that bounce the exhaust about inside. Depending on the design these have direction for the reasons above but some tend to be unisex.

This video does an admirable job of showing you the different internals and sound comparisons ...

Can you not reverse your muffler so the outlet is on bottom? I'm sorry but I haven't read the whole thread just the last few post.

My Dynomax from MSA looks like this. My biggest complaint is how low the pipe fits under the rear crossmember. 240s have a smaller cut-out and my 2.5" won't tuck up nicely like my 280's does.

Suggestions for MSA - Motorsport Auto Forum - The Classic Zcar Club

Mine has an older MSA system that I changed their turbo muffler for a stainless Magnaflow. Mounts angled like MSA shows.

Muffler is Center - in/Offset - out. Nice tone and no drone at all. No center resonator needed. Still need to shorten the hangers more to tuck it up.

IMG_20160520_162653.jpg

Can you not reverse your muffler so the outlet is on bottom?

Tried it all, but to no avail! It’s basically to do with the length of the straight part of the S pipe I have on. The old one that came with the car is just an inch longer and allows greater flexibility.

Mine has an older MSA system that I changed their turbo muffler for a stainless Magnaflow. Mounts angled like MSA shows.
Muffler is Center - in/Offset - out. Nice tone and no drone at all. No center resonator needed. Still need to shorten the hangers more to tuck it up.
IMG_20160520_162653.jpg.f6d8f18ff1be0971d05366b01c1c243d.jpg

Is it mated to an L24? I have heard that the L24 with this setup generally doesn’t suffer with drone. My L26 with just head porting did but it was very tolerable. My modified L28 on that exact same setup transferred post engine transplant was totally unbearable between 2-2.5K rpm and just had too much bass everywhere else. It took the joy out of driving for anything more than a 15 mins blast.

11 hours ago, AK260 said:

Is it mated to an L24? I have heard that the L24 with this setup generally doesn’t suffer with drone. My L26 with just head porting did but it was very tolerable. My modified L28 on that exact same setup transferred post engine transplant was totally unbearable between 2-2.5K rpm and just had too much bass everywhere else. It took the joy out of driving for anything more than a 15 mins blast.

No, mine is a L28 with MSA 6-2-1 headers.

• Like 1