IGNORED

LED dash lights

Richard McDonel

I'm going through the hand-gouging ordeal of replacing two instrument light bulbs, specifically the left-side turn-signal indicator, and the high-beam warning light.  A friend has suggested that given the difficulty of access, perhaps I should renew them all (good idea), but with LED rather than incandescent.  He feels that LED will last forever, but given that we've had one household LED die on us, I tend to doubt that.  Anyone have  any experience with LED bulbs in dashboard applications?  

I'll be replacing all of the lights in my (aftermarket) gauges next weekend with LEDs. Since they're solid state they will definitely last longer than incandescent. That isn't to say they never fail- manufacturing quality is a major factor. I've heard good things about Samsung LEDs, but off-brand is a crap shoot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Richard McDonel said:

I'm going through the hand-gouging ordeal of replacing two instrument light bulbs, specifically the left-side turn-signal indicator, and the high-beam warning light.  A friend has suggested that given the difficulty of access, perhaps I should renew them all (good idea), but with LED rather than incandescent.  He feels that LED will last forever, but given that we've had one household LED die on us, I tend to doubt that.  Anyone have  any experience with LED bulbs in dashboard applications?  

Find the other thread on dash light LED's. there is a lot of good info int it...

@Captain Obvious

I went with LEDs a few years back. No problems for me. I also did all of the parking lights and turn signals. If you do all of the lights as LEDs, you'll need electronic flashers for the turn signals and hazard lights.

I went with LEDs and they are great. I had to pop out the little domes covering the bulbs and then opening up the gauges to fish out the domes because my LED's were taller than the original bulbs. As per SteveJ, you need to replace the flasher relay. With the lower wattage, it also puts less stress on your old wiring system.

• 2 weeks later...