IGNORED

280Z Fuel Tank & Vapor Reservoir Hoses

SoCalJim

I recently pulled the fuel tank out of my 1975 280Z to have it cleaned and so I could work on reducing the smell of gas in the cabin.  I'd love to replace the 17mm (5/8") vent hose that connects from the tank to the vapor reservoir and the 17mm hose that connects the filler to the vapor reservoir, but I can't seem to find these parts.  I question whether or not the existing hoses are presenting much of a barrier to gas vapors.  Anyway, I was thinking about replacing them with 5/8" fuel hose; however, the hose wants to kink when bent in a fashion similar to the old hoses.  Is there still a source for replacement hoses, or a good solution to using the hoses that are readily available from the auto parts stores? 

I have another fuel system parts question.  Has anyone seen a source for obtaining a new grommet in the plate that screws into the body?  Once again, this is for a 1975 Z.

Thanks!

IMG_2476.jpg

IMG_2477.jpg

Edited by SoCalJim
Reordered the pictures

Charles, that seal is called a Plate Filler - Part Number 17311-E8700.  It's discontinued and I haven't seen it on the various websites that specialize in Z car parts.  Regarding the spring approach you suggested, I did find a spring for 7/8" OD pipe bending.   https://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Jacket-60361-Bending-Spring/dp/B00QW25BG8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1525212784&sr=8-3&keywords=7%2F8+tubing+bender  I might have to give that a try.

siteunseen, I look forward to seeing your solution!

Edited by SoCalJim

Here's where I got the idea. Instead of sweating copper fittings I used two 90 degree pex fittings with a small section of hose in between to make a 180 turn around. Used regular hose clamps, pex crimp rings won't work on rubber hose. LOL

Here's an informative thread with some good solutions, part numbers and many photos. You'll have to copy and paste. It didnt work as a hyper link. Edit #2. It works now.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/17542-treating-insideoutside-of-gas-tank-with-por15-products-and-removing-evaporation-tank/

Screenshot_2018-05-01-19-02-53.png

Edited by siteunseen

1 hour ago, SoCalJim said:

Charles, that seal is called a Plate Filler - Part Number 17311-E8700.  It's discontinued and I haven't seen it on the various websites that specialize in Z car parts.  Regarding the spring approach you suggested, I did find a spring for 7/8" OD pipe bending.   https://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Jacket-60361-Bending-Spring/dp/B00QW25BG8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1525212784&sr=8-3&keywords=7%2F8+tubing+bender  I might have to give that a try.

siteunseen, I look forward to seeing your solution!

It's a long shot but you could check yahoo japan but I wouldn't hold out hope. It is easier with the part number

3 hours ago, Patcon said:

It's a long shot but you could check yahoo japan but I wouldn't hold out hope. It is easier with the part number

I’ll see if that turns up anything.  Thanks!

siteunseen, thanks for the information about your solution to this problem!

I’m going to use a combination of both of your suggestions.  I’m using uni-coils for the short section of vent hose between the filler and the reservoir, and I’m planning on using the 3/4” PEX elbows for the tight 180 degree turn on the tank vent hose.  I’ll use another uni-coil for the 90 degree turn that the tank vent hose takes right before it gets to the vapor reservoir.  

siteunseen, I tried looking for a picture of your solution, but I haven’t been able to find it.  Would you mind posting it here or sending it to me if you have one?  Thanks!

16 hours ago, SoCalJim said:

I catch myself doing the same thing at times.  Thanks!

I apologize for forgetting to do this earlier but here is a picture that should give you the basics of what I did on the 5/8" evap hose on top of my fuel tank, the 180 degree bend.

3/4 PEX elbow fits 5/8" fuel hose nice and snug, use the worm clamps like in this picture.  I laid the old hose on the floor and copied the bend with the new hose and PEX fittings.

If you need anything else let me know.  Cliff

image.png 

• Thanks 1