IGNORED

Where to go with this rusthole

Elliott000

I like the oil idea. Then I don't have to sand the metal again and again. It doesn't soak in to it eh. A good cleaning and she would be ready for paint. For some reason even washing bare metal and drying it off makes me fear rust haha.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

I have never tried oiling bare metal. It makes me nervous. I try to avoid touching bare metal or body work with my hands to prevent adding oils to the surface. I just have concerns about being able to get all the oil back off the panels.

Any opinion on por 15 metal prep. Can't get Eastwood stuff in Canada, that fast etch would be perfect and I'm Leary of oiling the metal just for the same reasons of what if I don't get it all in crevaces and such. We have por 15 prep tho and it sounds like it does a similar deal.

Any opinion on por 15 metal prep. Can't get Eastwood stuff in Canada, that fast etch would be perfect and I'm Leary of oiling the metal just for the same reasons of what if I don't get it all in crevaces and such. We have por 15 prep tho and it sounds like it does a similar deal.

I have used the POR prep and it is a good product. I order Eastwood products online no problem. You can also get some Eastwood products at KMS Tools in Canada.
  • Like 2

How far does one go with corrosion.... There's a spot in the l rear door glass area that has slight pitting but not rotten id rather not cut into it. There's a couple areas of the door jamb that are for sure coming out but is pitting a huge deal? See attached pics. It's obvious which one I'll be cutting out.

Another question on my mind and it's more less fear based haha, should I strip ALL the paint and skim coats of any previous bondo?? I'm nervous about skim coating around the rear hatch/roof line so many curves and angles in there and I've never done any real body finishing before.... You can see a few dents around the tail light area but the rest of the painted stuff is mint I can tell from back side. Should I strip it and then she just needs epoxy and a hi build primer or does that are actually get a skim of plastic and worked? Thanks guys. Getting exciting over here. I almost have passé fer side done! Well, still need front fenders but that doesn't count! 20181111_105047.jpeg20181111_105130.jpeg20181111_105121.jpeg

3 hours ago, Elliott000 said:

How far does one go with corrosion.

Go as far as you are comfortable with it.   I think I previously said the doglegs were the worst area on these cars to fix, I was wrong, the worst place is the A pillars. There is just no room to work, all you can do is drill the spot welds and try to open it up, or cut it out and replace with an A pillar from a donor.

If you take it down to bare metal there is a good chance you can correct a lot of the dent with hammer and dolly,  many body shops won't go to that trouble and just mud it up and sand. But sometimes I've removed all filler to find the previous guy did a good job filling and now I have to re-do the same job he did.  If there is thick bondo you know there are problems there that will need work, if the filler is thin and there was no bubbling of the paint before hand then you could leave it. Just seal it with a 2k primer.

Edited by grannyknot
  • Like 1

I have always stripped to bare metal as a point of procedure rather than necessity in every case. Sometimes it is a waste of my effort as the repair was well done, other times I find a problem that would have only gotten worse. Peace of mind is worth it in the long run...

• Like 1

The little pitting at the quarter window, I wouldn't worry about. Treat it and just skim coat it. As far as leaving previously painted areas, I agree with Grannyknot, what ever your comfortable with. It makes me nervous to leave it. So I strip it. If it's bonded good and no cracking or bubbling it should be good.

That A pillar is a mess. I would send your one but the postage is awful, Zkars might have a donor. A donor makes that repair much easier

I'm picking a roof up tomorrow. Local guy! I cut the bad piece out. What's the best plan with a donor? Just drill the welds and replace.... Just having a donor I suppose saves me all the bending and screwing around with that curve and drip edge

I'm Gunna grab the roof today aswell as the "wings" for the nose! My wife was in Edmonton and brought me a gift from her dad. Some blocks and guide coat.

Sorry to harass u guys more eh, I appreciate all the assistance for real. Now that I'm almost done this one side I'm still on edge about metal prep and storage. I wanna strip the whole car as mentioned but don't really want to 2k prime it then have to clean the paint off in repair areas and re spray..... Should I just strip prep and spray then cut out and fix whatever is left after? Or buy the por15 prep or similar and trust that coating it leaves on is good to not flash off and rust a bit while I tackle the other side? (I've committed to full paint strip)

Thanks 20181112_101642.jpeg