IGNORED

Swapping my 75 280z engine to a 81 L28det need help

jesus

the thing about the harness that is in the car now is weird because it dose not have the wiring for the side oil pressure or oil temp sensor (do not remember what it is) you find on the right side of the block.

13 hours ago, jesus said:

the thing about the harness that is in the car now is weird because it dose not have the wiring for the side oil pressure or oil temp sensor (do not remember what it is) you find on the right side of the block.

I don't recall any 280z or 280zxt having a oil temp sensor. Maybe the auto's did?  I thought the later 280z ran the same 2 prong oil pressure sensor like the 280zxt. Regardless, if it's different unscrew the 280z one and screw it into the 280zxt. The oil pressure wire should be on the passenger side coming out of the engine bay harness from memory. (Not the Fuel Injection Harness).

Also, make sure you clean all the grounds on the ZXT harness very well and all the associated plugs andupgrade the injector clips to modern ones as I'm sure the old ones are likely toast.

• Like 1

The L28ET has an oil temperature sensor in the back side of the oil pan.  The 280ZX Turbo also had a corresponding gauge.  While I'm sure someone has done it, I've never seen a turbo swapped early Z car with an oil temperature gauge...  My oil temperature sensor is there, just not connected to anything.

Edited by cgsheen1

10 hours ago, cgsheen1 said:

The L28ET has an oil temperature sensor in the back side of the oil pan.  The 280ZX Turbo also had a corresponding gauge.  While I'm sure someone has done it, I've never seen a turbo swapped early Z car with an oil temperature gauge...  My oil temperature sensor is there, just not connected to anything.

Oh that’s right. It’s been so long I forgot all about that. 

• Like 1

Yea ok so it is oil pressure and yes the old engine came with a auto transs but I swapped it to a five spd was going to ask have any of you heard of a custom wiring harness ? That I can just buy I rather buy a good one then end up Messing mine up 

5 hours ago, jesus said:

Yea ok so it is oil pressure and yes the old engine came with a auto transs but I swapped it to a five spd was going to ask have any of you heard of a custom wiring harness ? That I can just buy I rather buy a good one then end up Messing mine up 

Messing which one up? The one that came with the car or the 280zxt harness your trying to install?

Im not aware of any harness/Ecu option for a stock configuration ZXT motor swap. If you decide to go MS you will need chickenmans help. My uncle just went to MS and said without his support it would be near Impossible on his own. 

• Like 1

I might suggest you bust out the FSM. Look at your stock harness to see what wires go where and from where.

The only gauge from the passenger side harness is the oil pressure sending unit that I can recall. 

The tach signal and water temp switch should come from the new ZXT harness. I thought those came on the driver side. 

On 6/19/2018 at 12:39 AM, jesus said:

i mean the harness that i need to cut up the passenger side harness for gages and relays and all that good stuff to run stock gages 

Dude...  You don't need to "cut up the passenger side harness for gages" (sic).

- You can use the stock coolant temp sender wiring (coolant temperature gauge) - the L28ET has the same temperature sender in the t-stat housing

- The Tach signal wire will connect to the turbo coil just like it did to the stock coil.

- The oil pressure sender:  IF the oil pressure sender is different on the L28ET, unscrew it!  Install your old oil pressure sender on the tee of the L28ET and plug it into the stock wiring!

You WILL have a bit of other wiring to connect into the stock harness, but it's minimal really and can be made reversible - if you're smart...