IGNORED

What frame rails?!

rcb280z

Ok RCB time for me to chime in. If you don't have welding skills already, DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. No one hear, least of all me, is trying to discourage you but no one wants to see you hurt, frustrated, or even worse end up with a pink elephant. Welding is a learned skill that is not picked up in a matter of hours. Welding above your head is even more tricky. My Father taught me how to when I was 16, now I am 59 and I actually held a job being paid as one, even still after so many years of not doing it I had to re-teach myself the technique when I began my restoration. The floor stiffeners on both sides of mine had to be replaced. Repairing was not an option. About 24 hours of work per side considering fitting and trimming. (See pics below). If you plan to do a lot of work with a machine purchasing one is a good option even a used one. But just to patch it is not really worth the expense. I bought a Lincoln 190C about 4 years ago and it has proven to be a valuable tool for what I needed to do. It uses an argon gas mix. No BS flux core foolishness. I really wished you lived nearby I would do them for you. I was fortunate enough to have a friend with a sheet metal business and after I cut out a section I gave it to him because of the U shape I needed. He did a nice job of recreating them using a thicker gauge of metal. I cut them to desired length and formed the front half so they joined the footwell transition nicely. There must be a shop around your area that could help you out even with just a patch. But don't cut corners. The art of welding produces more heat than you can imagine so if you plan on doing this repair at least peel the carpet back to the seat pedestals. Also when you start cleaning off the undercoat don't be surprised to see much more rust than you anticipated. It looks as if there was more than likely some water intrusion and the under coat may be the only thing covering it. But don't give up. Be resourceful and plan on the car being off the road for at least a couple of weeks. GOOD LUCK!

20171021_170041.jpg

20171213_120222.jpg

20170328_183035.jpg

20161231_172557.jpg

IMG_20151104_130913_368.jpg

IMG_20151027_090232_627.jpg

20170201_181832.jpg

Edited by esmit208
Grammar

esmit208, I really appreciate You chiming in. I'm not convinced that I want to attempt it. I want nice clean weld lines and I know I wont get it without the proper training. Don't get me wrong, I want to try my hands at welding but on something I could handle while standing on my feet and not lying on the ground. Its been on my mind off and on today. My gut is telling me not to try this as my first weld. I'm going to search shops in this area so lets see what I come up with. 

6 hours ago, rcb280z said:

Do you know a "mechanic" by the name of Michael Sherfey? Had a shop, Sunwest Motorsports IIRC.

YES.......My harmonic balancer snapped on my 82ZX I had at the time and he fixed it for me. I worked at the CHEVRON station that was at the 101 and Seward. It was a CHEVRON at that time anyway. That is who I was thinking about during this post. There is another Nissan guy in Santa Paula that replaced my idler pulley for me, can't remember his name though. WOW did you bring back memories.I hope you and your family made it through the mudslides and fires ok. VENTURA is one the COOLEST places I have ever lived.

53 minutes ago, esmit208 said:

I hope you and your family made it through the mudslides and fires ok

We did with no issues. Just had to wear masks for a few days because of the smoke.

I feel so sorry for the victims of the fire and mudslides. Finally got to drive the freeway thru the slide areas, sad to see. The 101 was closed for 2 weeks! But they are a very strong community and they will pull through this for sure.

52 minutes ago, esmit208 said:

VENTURA is one the COOLEST places I have ever lived.

It is but getting expensive.

I've known Mike since 1986, a year after I bought my 280. He used to smog it for me. Very thorough person. He is no longer in business, bummer.

52 minutes ago, esmit208 said:

I worked at the CHEVRON station that was at the 101 and Seward.

It is still there.

If you ever make it out this way we'll have to meet up for coffee, soda, or a beer, whatever you prefer. And if remember this guy in Santa Paula let me know.