IGNORED

Quickest headlight upgrade?

Grubb240Z

1 hour ago, NVZEE said:

As mentioned elsewhere, clean the ground contact areas as well because this is half the equation and is frequently overlooked. Corrosion and oxidation add resistance, and that’s not a good thing when trying to optimize current flow.

I'll look for those connections. I wonder if there's anything I can apply to the connections to help keep them in good shape after I've cleaned them? Something that can be sprayed/painted on. I'll add shrink tubing where applicable on any new connections I make.

There are contact cleaners, etc. out there but a little scuffing with a wire brush works as well — so long as it doesn’t go through paint or surface coatings. Exposing and cleaning contact areas gives the best surface-to-surface results, then a shot or dab of an electron-friendly protectant can help the cause. Just check what you’re using as some products work as an insulator to reduce conductivity.

The ground path is in the dimmer switch at the base of the turn signal stalk.  You can take it apart or just spray cleaner in to the internals.  Pretty common for the lights to not work at all because the dimmer switch is gummed up.

There are ground wire connections from the dimmer switch that can be pulled apart and cleaned.  

The ground path is in the dimmer switch at the base of the turn signal stalk.  You can take it apart or just spray cleaner in to the internals.  Pretty common for the lights to not work at all because the dimmer switch is gummed up.
There are ground wire connections from the dimmer switch that can be pulled apart and cleaned.  

On a 240Z? I am not sure what you mean by “dimmer switch”. You must not mean it in the normal sense I am used to (As in a rheostat for dimming the lights on the dashboard or over the dinner table). Are you referring to a high-low beam switch?
I have not looked inside the column at the switches. Maybe I should do that.

Sent from my iPad using Classic Zcar Club mobile

It's always been a dimmer switch to me.  Nissan too...  1972...  How do you do...  My name is Sue...
image.thumb.png.ab2beed5969e54b13fd77cabf6f66fca.png

Dear Sue,

So just to be clear, when I say high/low beam switch and you say “dimmer“. We are talking about the same thing, right?
I took the cover off the switches on the steering column last night and cleaned things up a bit. It did seem to brighten headlights some. I will do some cleaning up of connectors here and there, but I do plan to upgrade the harnesses and have the column levers/switches reconditioned.
Then I’ll have to deal with the fact that the previous owner, who obviously gave up on fixing the “dimmer” switch, added a 3-position toggle switch under the dash to control high/off/low settings. Probably not difficult to undo, but I don’t have a background in these things.

Sent from my iPad using Classic Zcar Club mobile

I have a classic 69 MGC although it is not a Z the original bulbs were not the best. Here is what I have found and will not turn back. Extremely pleased with the original look and superior lighting.
HD.thumb.jpg.157d70c9147d791c87e07a0eaa2fb056.jpg

Do you look nice. Looking online, I see they are around $35 each – half of what some other options I have seen cost. Can these be simply added to the car with all the stock equipment still there?

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

10 minutes ago, Grubb240Z said:

Do you look nice. Looking online, I see they are around $35 each – half of what some other options I have seen cost. Can these be simply added to the car with all the stock equipment still there?

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Yes, they can. However, the light output will still be below optimum if you are not getting enough voltage to them.

3 hours ago, SteveJ said:

Yes, they can. However, the light output will still be below optimum if you are not getting enough voltage to them.

There is no short cut to good lighting if grounds are failing and connections are dirty as Steve said. However these will outshine the originals and have a very nice pattern to them. You won't be sorry you tried them. And best of all they are glass not plastic.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 123ignitionusa said:

I have a classic 69 MGC although it is not a Z the original bulbs were not the best. Here is what I have found and will not turn back. Extremely pleased with the original look and superior lighting.

HD.jpg

Thanks. My son just ordered these for his 81 RX7.