IGNORED

1972 240Z Rebuild

Strat067

Hi guys/gals,

I have had a few people on various posts here and on reddit asking for a full build thread, so I am going to try to make that happen. This will be a documentation of the restoration and modification of my 1972 240Z. This project really started a year ago, so I will give a quick background. After that I will try to post regularly; it may take a week or two to get this thread up to date with the work I have done so far, but it is what it is. Some things will be out of order as I find time. If you want to follow real time then follow me on instagram if you like (d_stratton).

Okay - this started in October of 2016 when I got my first 240z. I picked up this car (lets call this "the blue car") for 500 bucks. It was incredibly rusty and dirty 1973 model; it looked like it was parked outside for 20 years. The last tabs where 1988 and it was FILLED with rat/mice poo. But hey, for 500 bucks I got to enter into my dream car since I was a little boy.

This turned out to be kind of a gold mine of a parts car - I didn't notice when I bought there was a whole separate dash with all the gauges and two sets of carburetors in the back trunk under a tarp. I disassembled this entire car down to a bare shell and sold quite a few parts off of it. I kept the suspension and the good dashboard from this car as well as some odds and ends. The shell was way to rusted to do anything with, ended up giving it away for free. These are all the pictures I have left of this car; unfortunately all my pictures from this time frame are lost.

1.PNG2.PNG

3.jpg

IMG_20171029_125852.jpg

Edited by Strat067

Over the winter months I picked up a drive train out of a 1982 280ZX, and rebuilt the close ration 5-speed and the R200 as a winter project. I will detail that out in a future post...for now lets get too the car. In July of 2017, after really three years of searching, I found what I thought was a good buy on a 1972 240Z here in Minnesota. The car looked in decent shape, though it had been resprayed. I didn't notice any weird body lines and I did the magnet test along the body with no issues, so I took the bet that there was little to no body filler. The car was in obvious need of floor pans, and there was some rust coming through on the rockers and fenders and the rear sill    , but the rear quarters were solid.

I figured any car is going to need rust work unless I spend a fortune, and I wanted a project, so why not. The interior was in decent shape and their was nothing missing on the car.

The car run, but just barely and the brakes were sketchy at best. So the project goal was to get it running reliably with some upgrades by summers end. I wanted to do this as a "running restoration" - that is I wanted to not have the car gutted completely at any point, I wanted to repair rust in piece-meal so I could keep driving the car. 

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.5.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

21.jpg

Once I got it home it immediately when up on jack stands. I took my first good look at the rust I am dealing with.

22.jpg

Frame rails and floor pans will need to be done. Looks like there is some body filler on the rocker peeking out there. This bodes well...

14.4.jpg

But I am happy to drive a rusted out death trap, so lets get this on the road shall wee...

First up was brakes. Got a big pack of the first parts in to get started

31.jpg

Toyota calipers for the front and everything needed to rebuild the rear drums as well as a 280zx master cylinder and stainless steel lines. 32.jpg36.jpg

Started with the front end:

23.jpg

Nasty grease

29.jpg

28.jpg

Modified the dust shield to fit the new, bigger calipers

33.jpg34.jpg38.jpg

Test fit

35.jpg

Got the rotors resurfaced and painted the hubs

49.jpg

SS brake hoses fitted

42.jpg

Sandblasted and painted the front hubs

50.jpg

Repacked the bearings with new grease and popped in new seals

52.jpg

Bit of paint on the dust shields

51.jpg

Slapped back together with new wheel studs as well. The nicest things on the car at this point. 

56.jpg

Next up was installing the bigger 280zx master cylinder. What I didnt get a picture of was modifying the mounting tabs and adjusting the push-rod to get this setup to function properly.

54.1.jpg

A quick vacuum test on the old booster let me know it was faulty, so I waited for a new one to arrive before installing the master cylinder.

140.jpg

Everything together with a new vacuum line and check valve. 

142.jpg

Edited by Strat067

Then the rear brakes got attention. Again the goal here was to get this thing running and driving:

Where we started

24.jpg

Linings where crumbling and the wheel cylinders where definitely leaking. 

39.jpg

New shoes and all new cylinders with hardware installed.

40.jpg

New hardlines from the axle and new SS hoses installed

44.jpg45.jpg

The old drums where shot so I had to get new steel ones

67.jpgThe 

Finished off the rear by painting the rear hub for vanity.

129.jpg

• Like 1

With the brakes sorted I then turned to getting the damn thing running :P. It ran when I bought it, but was really hard to start and ran like poo. I wanted to get this thing to the point where the wife and I could take short trips in the car, so that meant getting it running and changing out all of the old hoses and such to make this decently reliable. 

First things first, we need more parts. Getting this box full of parts was the highlight of August. 

59.jpg

Our kitchen became the Datsun staging area. The box held intake and exhaust gaskets, carb rebuild kits, air cleaner, a bunch of hoses, thermostat w/ gasket, radiator cap, fuel filter, spark plugs, electronic distributer (280zx), igniton coil, spark plugs and a few other odds and ends. Also picked up a synchrometer to help tune the carbs, and because I love specialty tools. :)

60.jpg65.jpg66.jpg68.jpg61.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/29/2017 at 11:37 AM, datsun-man said:

Do you have any of the original white interior. If so would you  be interested in selling it. I am trying to restore an original uk car that was white. Please email philip438@btinternet,com

Unfortunately no, sold that off, sorry :(

On 12/29/2017 at 5:09 AM, grannyknot said:

I've tried that before, didn't go over very well;)  Nothing like a box full of nice new parts, your car looks in pretty good shape without too much rust, are you going to tackle the suspension next?

Suspension will come much later, itching to get to it though