IGNORED

intake mainfold to carb spacer gaskets

Mikes Z car

Pulled the carbs off of my 240Z today to have them reworked.  There is no gasket between the spacer on the intake manifold and the intake manifold, is one supposed to be there?  More directly can the lack of a gasket there cause an air leak?  My car seems to have variable mixture making me think there is an air leak somewhere though I never tried the carburetor spray test.

IMG_3439 phenolic spacer text added.jpg

Thank you siteunseen, Captain Obvious and 7tooZ, very helpful information.  I was having fairly severe idle issues.  I now see the missing gaskets on eBay.  My car needs the insulator to intake manifold gasket with no holes as there are no holes in the intake manifold surface that mates to the carbs.  I guess some intake manifolds actually put hot water through the carbs but not on my car.

IMG_3461 Water tube on my car but no holes.jpg

The block with a gasket on each side is a little pricey, but you can also just get paper gaskets for the block you have.  They are the same as Austin Healey carbs.  Gaskets are a dollar or so apiece.  If you can't find any, try Z Therapy.  I think they're listed on their web site.

Dennis

Edited by psdenno

9 hours ago, 7tooZ said:

My July 71 did!

Cool. So you had the three screw round tops?  Was it titled as a 72 being built that late in the year, and you think the carbs were original?

Maybe a transition period at the end of the 71 run? Everybody talks about the mid-year changes in 74. Maybe they did that kind of stuff in other years too.  :)

No it was titled as a 71. My understanding is that dealers in each state titled them differently. Also I heard that in our state because there was no MSO (manufacturer’s statement of origin) from Japan the title work was loosely controlled. I have always considered it to be a Series II. No hatch vents, non solid steering wheel spikes, second gen seat belts, storage boxes instead of storage compartments. Etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile