IGNORED

72 240z radio wiring

Rio24

Please help!   I just bought a 72 240Z I have a lot if work to do.  The engine is seized from sitting for years and while I'm patiently waiting for the mystery oil to work I decided to try and figure out why the radio does not work.  I removed it today and found it was completely disconnected.  There is a antenna plug , a 3 pin connector and 2 loose wires ( red and blue )   please help?  I think I found a factory connection for the 3 pin, although I am not sure where there other end of the fuse link is. Is it power or ground?  And where are the loose red and blue wires?  Key on power? And constant or ground?    Thanks in advance 

IMAG0515.jpg

IMAG0517.jpg

IMAG0516.jpg

The white 3 pin connector provides power & speaker output.   The blue wire with half the infuse connection is +12v (10a fuse), the other 2 grey wires are for the speaker output.

The red & blue,  if I remember right, blue is for illumination with the dash lighting, red is antenna power.    Download a copy of the workshop manual which has the radio schematic in the body electrical section.   You can bench test the radio to see if it is working before going further.

• Like 1

Reading from the other thread, it shows the power going into the blue fuse wire. The plug above show the power and two speaker wires coming in but how does the radio get power? The plug seems like it would be speakers out only? So how does the blue wire get into the receiver from the 3 plug connector? ( since only 3,wires, it seems speaker out are two, and blue fuse is going in, but what's it going into the plug itself?)

The separate red and blue wire are just dial lights and for testing purposes don't need to be hooked up right?  I have a radio I need to test too from a 72.

-—---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My 1972 Datsun 240Z (build date 10/71) has the following wires and destinations:

Black w/rca plug= Antenna

Red/blue wire= dial light

Blue/fuzed = Power into (3 connector)

gray= speaker

blue/gray= speaker

Antenna switch= 3 wires into T connector. solid blue at top of "T", blue w/red stripe left side of "T", blue w/white stripe to right side of "T".

Hope this helps. If you need more info pm me....

Ken Lewis

Windham,NH

:)

Edited by JSM

6 minutes ago, Rio24 said:

I got it working.   Plug in connector for speakers, I did not use the blue wire on the connector.  The single red wire is ignition(key on)power and blue is constant 12v.   The radio works!  

Ok that makes sense. So what does the blue fused wire do coming off the speaker wires?