IGNORED

Duffy's 1/71 Series 1 240z build

duffymahoney

Thanks! Next is my Mikuni triples. I am hopeful I like the sound of them and pull enough to leave this motor in the car. I am also designing up a cnc intake. Should be fun. 

5 hours ago, Woody928 said:

I do love following this thread, it's so familiar in many respects! You obviously have great taste ? Keep up the good work. 

I am super envious of that exhaust setup, it really does look pukka!  

15201E8C-8453-4FF9-A034-FB0435F3C07B.jpeg

0A044638-722C-4702-A103-31F13F485749.jpeg

4AF29762-95B1-46A8-9601-63F8BDE061B3.jpeg

F964E1FB-5421-4493-9701-9DD77B0A822D.jpeg

69D82049-E30B-4087-9562-BD9AF2F545C3.jpeg

Ooooo... Someone has had some CAD training! Nice pics!

Are you thinking you'll CNC these out of a chunk of solid material, or are you thinking you'll have something cast?

Also, some other thoughts:

So is there a really, really good reason for the placement of the throttle shaft bearings and the associated mounting bosses? At quick glance, it appears that you could share the same manifold between front and rear positions if you could standardize the location of the throttle shaft mounting bosses. You really couldn't live with that front throttle shaft cantilevered another inch further forward for the sake of completely getting rid of a unique part? Maybe split the difference in bearing locations between first and third?

In other words... I know the center manifold needs to be unique, but it sure looks like you ought to be able to share the same base unit between the other two.

Also, are the holes for attaching the mounting bar between the three manifolds... Are they all the way through into the intake tubes? If they are all the way through, you'll need to make sure they are vacuum tight even on the locations for the mounting bracket. If they are blind, you won't have to worry about sealing them.

Sorry. Forgot to ask. Is this a design review?   LOL

• Like 1

They will be cnc’d

It will be 3 pieces. All cnc’d, so they don’t need to match. Throttle shaft points can be moved. It’s a copy of the Harada. I studied a bunch of old manifolds and i think the harada has a good throttle linkage system. 

The plate/ bridge will have holes all the way though. The idea is it could be used for vacuum or a balance tube or ?  But again it’s a one off  so it could always change  they won’t leak, it will all be npt threading. 

I love the feedback  

23 hours ago, duffymahoney said:

Thanks! Next is my Mikuni triples. I am hopeful I like the sound of them and pull enough to leave this motor in the car. I am also designing up a cnc intake. Should be fun. 

15201E8C-8453-4FF9-A034-FB0435F3C07B.jpeg

0A044638-722C-4702-A103-31F13F485749.jpeg

4AF29762-95B1-46A8-9601-63F8BDE061B3.jpeg

F964E1FB-5421-4493-9701-9DD77B0A822D.jpeg

69D82049-E30B-4087-9562-BD9AF2F545C3.jpeg

Haha I will be even more envious if you pick up a set of those as well! I would love triple OER's however they are way down the list sadly.... 

Cool CAD skills. 

9 hours ago, duffymahoney said:

All cnc’d, so they don’t need to match.

I know they don't need to match. I'm just coming from the mindset that it's always easier and cheaper to make two of the same thing than two different things.

One less CAD file to work the bugs out of. One less dry run walkthrough on the CNC mill. One less prototype part that needs to be made. One less part that needs to be tweaked to work as intended... All of that. I know it's just disposable time and money. More power to you if you have enough of both.    LOL 

As for the mounting bracket holes... Are they deep enough that you could leave a thin wall at the bottom of the hole (so they are blind and vacuum tight) and then pierce through that thin wall in the few locations where you need a vacuum source? You could do that final poke through drilling at home with a hand drill if necessary. Not a precision operation. That could give you best of both worlds?

Lastly... If this project actually does come to fruition, please keep rough tabs on the costs? I'd be interested in a final tally to use as a benchmark for a potential project of my own.

6 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

I know they don't need to match. I'm just coming from the mindset that it's always easier and cheaper to make two of the same thing than two different things.

One less CAD file to work the bugs out of. One less dry run walkthrough on the CNC mill. One less prototype part that needs to be made. One less part that needs to be tweaked to work as intended... All of that. I know it's just disposable time and money. More power to you if you have enough of both.    LOL 

As for the mounting bracket holes... Are they deep enough that you could leave a thin wall at the bottom of the hole (so they are blind and vacuum tight) and then pierce through that thin wall in the few locations where you need a vacuum source? You could do that final poke through drilling at home with a hand drill if necessary. Not a precision operation. That could give you best of both worlds?

Lastly... If this project actually does come to fruition, please keep rough tabs on the costs? I'd be interested in a final tally to use as a benchmark for a potential project of my own.

All great info. I wish I had a few more intakes to look at as far as linkage, location of arms etc...

Next is test cutting it out of a plastic or perhaps aluminum. 

Im not worried about the holes going through and sealing, but that being said I like your idea of not having them go all the way. That would be easy to do. 

Cost will be more then current intakes. But this should look like a work of art when done. Customizable. Could be anodized,  Racing logos, bores, the cad file could also be used for efi intakes. 

I don’t have the cad skills, a buddy is helping me and will sell these if anyone is interested.  He has two amazing cnc mills.  He owns prototype and design company and also his dad owns a super high end auto build shop.