IGNORED

Relay Mounting Locations - Firewall? under dashboard

tamo3

After removing transistor under passenger kick board, I found there are huge space available to mount.

I created mounting bracket. Chopping metal flat bar and drill holes and weld them together.

bracket1.jpg

primed and painted with some leftover canned spray.

bracket2.jpg

Completed.

bracket_competed.jpg

You might consider repurposing a BMW or Ford or other late model car's relay and fuse box.  Ford and BMW and several others have a nice weatherproof plastic box with a cover that they mount in the engine bay or under the front cowl.  Lots of slots for whatever variety of relays and fuses you like.

Found this picture on the internet, for example.  1997 BMW. 

image.png

That's nice big box. It's a bit too big. Since relay and fuse are within cabinet( those are for power lock, power window, audio, security), it does not make sense to extend cable to rout out to engine bay in my case.

I installed power lock, power windows, Viper security system. Also I installed new modern stereo with 600W amp. Those need 4 relays and multiple fuses for IGN and +12V constant.

relays.jpg

Edited by tamo3

On 10/11/2017 at 11:48 PM, joe newsom said:

Not to sound like a noob, by why the extra fuses and relays ?

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Electric radiator fan,  electric power steering,  proper relays for Low/High beams, signals/instrument lights, aftermarket stereo system, MegaSquirt.

Here is a nice source for Building Custom Relay and Fuse combo's in the Mini ISO 280 standard.

https://www.kinnettickreations.com/fuse-and-relay-solutions

48 position Relay/Fuse mini PDC box $40.00:

https://www.kinnettickreations.com/product-page/48-position-pdc

Custom pre-assembled and wired Relay/Fuse mini PDC box with six 20 Amp relays and 12 fuses.$120.00 :

https://www.kinnettickreations.com/product-page/48-position-pdc

Blue Sea marine products also make some nice Fuse blocks. Their ST Blade series in 6 or 12 circuit with Negative Bus and cover are very nice. Screw on terminals for Marine specs.  Reasonable price as well. 

https://www.bluesea.com/products/category/16/61/Fuse_Blocks/ST_Blade

Pictures of 12 circuit PDC  with Negative Bus and cover. 6 circuit PDC is also available. 

5026_install.jpg5026.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

hi evry body

i'm introducing miself and my Z , i'm from FRANCE and i'm new in this community, i've got a 1972 french 240z (5 speed manual) which is in the familly since 1994.

Please excuse my english... i have a question for you guys, i'm looking for the original place of the horn relay ?, is there any body who know that?, it could helpme , i have to pass a road certificat for tomorow an my horn don't work ny more ...

1 hour ago, frog240z said:

i'm looking for the original place of the horn relay

For the 1970 - 73 models, it should be located on the left-side kick panel, just under the dash ('left' as viewed looking forward). 

From my notes (copied from someone else's notes):

Terminal markings and wire connections at the Relay:

B = Battery >> Green/Red wire
H = Horn  >>   Green wire
S = Switch >> Green/Black wire

The Green wire is the one that is switched internally in the Relay.

The Green/Black wire connects back to the Horn Button on the steering wheel. It works by grounding the circuit*.

The Green/Red wire supplies power from the battery via the Fuse Box (4th fuse down on the Left side, 10A).

(* There is a contact ring located under the Horn button. A wire runs from the contact ring to the front of the steering wheel. When you push the horn button, the front ring makes contact with the steering column, completing the path to ground.)

If I had to guess, your problem will be with the switch contacts in the Horn pad and not with the Relay.  But you never know.

The attached wiring diagram (in colour!) was created a few years back by a gentleman named Sully Ridout and contributed to this site.  It's appropriate to the 1972 N. American models, so it may not be exactly right for a European Z (other member located in Europe can probably comment).  However, it may help you to figure things out for the horn circuit at least.

S30 Wiring Schematic - 72 240Z - Colour (by Sully Ridout).pdf

Edited by Namerow
Added note re probable location of problem

thank you so much namerow for your quick answer .

i've already test the continuity of the wire from the contact ring to the front of the steering wheel, it's ok. what do you call the switch contact ? it's the same as contact ring ?

47 minutes ago, frog240z said:

what do you call the switch contact ? it's the same as contact ring ?

Yes.  When I said, 'switch contact' I mean 'contact ring'.

There is another 'switch contact', of course and that resides inside the Relay.  If you cannot quickly locate an exact duplicate of the Horn Relay, why not substitute a standard relay (like the one that you can purchase from any automotive parts supplier)?  Someone else here can hopefully guide you on the connections you will need to make.  Otherwise, you can consult a local automotive electrical service shop.

Also:  Before you play with the Relay, be sure that good electrical connections are being made to the Horns at the front of the car.  This includes both the POS and NEG connections for both Horns.