Obsolete HTF Parts for Prototyping

ramsesosirus

10 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

This morning, I was watching Season 25, Episode 9 of "How it's Made":

Armored Vehicles
Tension Fabric Buildings
Rowers
Sculpture Enlargements

The last one... sculpture enlargements. They started with a small artist created sculpture (of a dog). They sent the small sculpture to a company that 3D computer scans it, and then blows up the size, and CNC router carves a larger version out of polystyrene foam.

You got the scanner, and you got the CNC. How bout scanning and carving replacement dash foam pads? You don't have to enlarge it. You could create a 1:1 copy.

I found that episode on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwNfx-YDzHc

I love watching those shows (or I did when I had cable) also Engineering Marvels is a good one.

If I were to really go all out on this, would it be possible to earn a living reproducing Z parts?   And is it legal?  Or do I need permission from Nissan to do so?

1 hour ago, ramsesosirus said:

would it be possible to earn a living reproducing Z parts?   And is it legal?  Or do I need permission from Nissan to do so?

Probably not. Don't know. And probably not unless it has a logo on it.  :)

Engineering Marvels is a good one too. I can't watch the news anymore, so I watch old episodes of How It's Made and SpongeBob.

Actually, that's not true... I've discovered that I can watch the news as long as I turn the sound off. I can even watch any of the stations that way. The trick is the stuff they are actually willing to put into print is truly news, but all the talking heads are just opinion. If they aren't honestly willing to put it in writing, then I don't want to hear about it.

I don't want opinion. I want news.

Someday we will have replicators but that time is not now. It's a good thing that people get excited about this technology but it's a better thing that they are realistic about what the end product will be. Then time isn't wasted trying to make something that is destine to fail. I think OP should produce the electrical plug mentioned earlier. This will be an excellent item to test the limits of both the human and machine. The overwhelming descriptions on 3D printers is "for visualizing and prototyping" not production. Recreating an injection molded electrical plug will give everyone an idea of what to expect and what can be done. In my opinion the cross sections are way too thin for printing but this tech changes by the minute so I could be wrong. 

Not trying to be a downer just trying to steer this in a practical direction:) 

Derek.

• Like 1

I believe there is another stumbling block with the round 280 headlight connectors. I do not think anyone has turned up a source for the larger brass contact that clips into the plastic connector shell. The smaller contacts are available, but I don't think anyone has found the larger ones. I know I looked some and didn't find anything suitable.

Derek, Also I forgot to ask. How did you fare in the recent storm? Everything OK?

Concerning the dash padding, it sounds like this device would work for anyone in the Cleveland, Ohio area but creating the model would be difficult. They also have a scanner with a 2-meter capacity, but I understand that 3-D scanning is not especially easy.

http://thinkbox.case.edu/equipment/shopbot#centerCol

Between the Cleveland Public Library's Makerspace and Case Western Reserve's  Sears Think Box, there are a lot of resources here to create objects for roughly the cost of the material.

Are their any detailed pictures of the 280z headlight connectors out there? From the few blurry photographs I've seen it looks like female bullet connectors embedded in a socket. That can't be that hard to make. The water-proof outer shell can be created using a flexible filament (e.g. NijaFlex).

5 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Derek, Also I forgot to ask. How did you fare in the recent storm? Everything OK?

All good considering. Just got the power back on at the house Friday. No damage to the shop or the foundry so hopefully I'll be back on the heads asap.

Thanks

Derek