IGNORED

Throttle Cable Upgrade - All The Way To The Pedal?

Captain Obvious

4 minutes ago, ramsesosirus said:

Good post.  Were any one you having trouble with the pedal returning to "idle" after accelerating?  I have an odd issue of the car continuing to hold a slight accel pedal after acceleration, almost like cruise control.  

It's not bad, but I had to manually lift the accel pedal with my foot before braking to return it to idle.  I cleaned the throttle plate last week but haven't driven it since.  

Does this upgrade give you "more throttle"?

Just for clarification, you have a throttle cable setup? if so my first guess is the the cable doesn't have enough free play. With your foot off the pedal, the cable should have some slack. You should have to push the pedal just a little to begin tugging on the cable.

Or the return spring is not strong enough, or you have some binding.

6 minutes ago, zKars said:

Just for clarification, you have a throttle cable setup? if so my first guess is the the cable doesn't have enough free play. With your foot off the pedal, the cable should have some slack. You should have to push the pedal just a little to begin tugging on the cable.

Or the return spring is not strong enough, or you have some binding.

Hmm not sure.  Mine is just the stock setup.  But I get the "binding" described.  Maybe cleaning the throttle plate cured it, I don't see how the stock ball system can bind up. Thanks

I've got throttle body binding as well, and that's what started all of this.

• I originally masked the problem by giving my throttle return spring on the butterfly shaft an additional turn.
  • Didn't like the way it made the throttle feel, so next I spent a completely unreasonable amount of time adding Delrin bushings to my throttle body.
  • That seemed like it worked at first. Then I discovered that it's great until the engine heat soaks after a ten minute stop. And then it's even worse than what I started with.
  • So now I've changed over to a completely different throttle body from a different car. Includes ball bearings and vacuum seals on the shaft.

Currently the repurposed throttle body (with it's cobbled together temporary installation) works great , but it would work even better with a cable actuation since that's what it was originally designed to use.

I will take some pics and post some non-nebulous details as soon as the system isn't embarrassing.  :)