IGNORED

Strange car dies and then restarts..... loses power first

70z4fun

Ok, first let me say I have had this car since 1979, never had this issue

car is a stock motor, running points, with a aftermarket coil since mid 80's

a few months ago, I drove the car, ran fine then lost power and died. Open hood checked connections, all tight restarted fine. Has done the same thing three or four times since, always restarted. Changed fuel filter today, went for spirited drive fo 60 miles, all perfect then it did it again. Piulled over, and re;started and here I am st home, wondering what to check next? Seems electrical the way it loses power...

temperture does not seem to matter, it has done it on hot nights and cool days> Only thing changed out this year is the battery

any advice would be appreciated

thanks,

bob

Would it go 60 miles before you changed the fuel filter?

Mine would make it around the block a couple of times then die. I could pull the supply side hose off the filter and blow into there until I heard bubbling in the tank. Cranked right up and drove home. Drove me crazy. Ended up being a cruddy fuel tank. 

Do you have a clear filter right out of the tank? $3 for a Fram G2 @ walmart. Easy way to see if you need to clean the tank.

Thanks for the response

The new filter looks clean. I changed the filter before I drove today. Old one didn't look that bad, but had been there for years. 

'Thinking of checking the the carb filters next. Hate to think the tank is causing this, but it is 47 years old......

also was thinking fuel pump screen?

Was hoping for some electrical issue, but may be fuel related.

Cant seem to make it stall  it again on demand......

Cut open old filter, does not look bad, no big rust or particals in filter

it deffinetly studders (loses power) before dying. But when I try to restart it right away, starter turns and acts like no spark. Sometimes it runs with the feeling of "missing" then regains power or dies

• Like 1

Boy I know this feeling. It was my fuel filter. First I could see a small amount on the bottom of the filter. Ran fine on a new filter so I cut the old open and. Could easily see the brown crud. Now I carry a spare.
When you let the pressure off the crud falls to the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Well, my old fuel filter did not look bad, as I cut it open and looked inside. The filter has been on the car for years. At least since my last tune up.

The new one looks clear, and I don't see a drop in fuel level in it either.

I just replaced the coil this morning, and I have driven ten miles so far, and it has been fine. I am not going to say it's fixed, but I hope so. 
Will report back after I get some miles on it...... Gives me a good excuse to go for a drive.

Thanks
Bob