IGNORED

Trans ID help

jackboxxx

Is there a post that might guide me to identify the transmission I I bought at a junkyard long ago I can only see one set of numbers written into the body of the transmission it says two 10 28 at the back of the transmission below the shifting area any help

would be appreciated maybe there is a different set of numbers I should be looking for or identifying marks?

Sent from my LGMS210 using Classic Zcar Club mobile

The front half of the Transmissions look identical but the one in the left appears to be a 5-speed the length is the same everything looks the same as far as mounting in the car I just want to know if there's any problems I need to be aware of when putting this in the car

Sent from my LGMS210 using Classic Zcar Club mobile

1501467751641.jpeg

The one on the top with the shift lever would be a 4 speed.  You can tell by the plate with the six bolts.  The one on the bottom would be an early model 5 speed, assuming that both came from a Z.  You can tell by the two forked exhaust hangers on the back, and the dust covers for the drive shaft. They will have the same ratios in 1 through 4 and should bolt in/on exactly the same.  Completely swappable.

The numbers on the castings don't seem to correlate to much.  People have tried to tie them to a year or model but it doesn't work.

21 hours ago, Zed Head said:

The one on the top with the shift lever would be a 4 speed.  You can tell by the plate with the six bolts.  The one on the bottom would be an early model 5 speed, assuming that both came from a Z.  You can tell by the two forked exhaust hangers on the back, and the dust covers for the drive shaft. They will have the same ratios in 1 through 4 and should bolt in/on exactly the same.  Completely swappable.

The numbers on the castings don't seem to correlate to much.  People have tried to tie them to a year or model but it doesn't work.

yes, the top one the the 4 speed out of my car, It had to be dropped due the the throwout bearing/clutch sleeve imploding...

When you say completely swap-able , from what ive heard,  you have to change out the clutch, pressure plate,  bearing and sleeve??

or can I just bolt it up? The front half of this 5 speed looks so exact..but motorsport auto said I have to swap it all out.

Thanks for your help, Im going to delete the newer thread.

48 minutes ago, jackboxxx said:

yes, the top one the the 4 speed out of my car, It had to be dropped due the the throwout bearing/clutch sleeve imploding...

Not sure what that means.  But you want the throwout bearing sleeve to match the pressure plate, not the transmission.  They tend to get associated with the transmission because of the spring clips holding the fork and sleeve to the transmission, but they really should stay with the pressure plate.  If yours broke, keep the pieces and measure the height of the ears on the sleeve, and find a similar replacement.  Or get a new pressure plate and matched collar.

Post a picture of the broken sleeve, just for fun.  We like scenes of destruction.

18 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Not sure what that means.  But you want the throwout bearing sleeve to match the pressure plate, not the transmission.  They tend to get associated with the transmission because of the spring clips holding the fork and sleeve to the transmission, but they really should stay with the pressure plate.  If yours broke, keep the pieces and measure the height of the ears on the sleeve, and find a similar replacement.  Or get a new pressure plate and matched collar.

Post a picture of the broken sleeve, just for fun.  We like scenes of destruction.

Well...the problem is..whoever had this car prior to me has done a little creative work to it..they used an odd PLASTIC sleeve part# 30501-a6801

its all melted as you can see in the pictures, but is short like a 240Z 4speed sleeve would be..( see the pic where I have a 280zx sleeve next to it. )

Now I need to figure which pressure plate I have, so I can get the correct length sleeve for it...( I would think the 280zx  sleeve I already have would be way too

long...)  Do I just need to pull the pressure plate to size things up?CLUTCH SLEEVE WITH BEARING ON IT.PNG

280zx sleeve next to melted one.jpg

melted clutch sleeve3.jpg

melted clutch sleeve2.jpg

melted clutch sleeve1.jpg

The melted plastic might be the seal from a sealed bearing.

No need to remove the pressure plate, you can take a measurement with it installed.  With the collar sitting on the fingers of the pressure plate, the distance from the surface the fork rides on, the two "ears" on the sleeve,  to the flywheel should be ~92 mm.

The collar with the melted bearing looks like it might be from a different model of Nissan.  Could be that somebody repurposed a part that doesn't really belong.  Are the hole diameters the same for the two that you show.  Maybe the one that got destroyed got cocked because it's too big.

On 8/1/2017 at 4:19 PM, sweatybetty said:

those part numbers might tell you. i bet that melting is from someone riding the clutch

I agree with you there...the day my clutch went out, I got stuck on a 25 mountain mile road detour due to a fire...

spent 2.5 hours in stop and go traffic getting thru that to make it home.

the last 7 miles with no clutch...(couldnt shift when I came to a stop) so I didnt stop...had to umm take some liberties with a couple stop signs and red lights...

everything was going great until I got to the last light across a busy hwy and was forced to stop...1 mile from home. had to tow it the last mile.

I now have the new bearing and sleeve and plan to install the nice METAL parts this weekend after I check fit and measure everything...ill let you know how it goes.