IGNORED

I have Fairlady S30-01036...need some advice

carnutatthebeach

A picture of the roll bar would be interesting, along with any suspension modifications.  There are really no signs that it ever saw a race track in your pictures.  Most people don't put roll bars in their street cars.

I take it though that the man issue here is whether or not the Nissan factory was involved.  Maybe it was a Nissan dealer.  Don't know how the dealerships work in Japan.

3 hours ago, carnutatthebeach said:

"I see no reason for story fabrication."

I would really like to believe that there is no reason for story fabrication but that just isn't the way it is.  From "driven only on Sundays" to "previously owned by (insert famous person's name)", I would like to think I have heard it all.  For that matter, my car was the first S30 in the State of Florida.  Just ask the brother of the previous owner's son.  Perhaps it was raced in Japan.  I have heard many stories about servicemen racing their newly purchased sports cars in amateur events.  Generally speaking, that's the sort of thing one wants to stay away from when considering the purchase of a used car.  You know; the abuse and all.  I don't know quite what to think of the LHD conversion.  Plenty of RHD cars made their way into the U.S.  The guy down the street from me in 1971 came home with an RHD Fairlady.  It was yellow and had headlight covers.  I just can't imagine why someone would go to all that trouble and, of course, the question has come up concerning from where the donor parts came.  I would bet that the conversion happened after it was imported and that the car has seen major work, parts replacement, and previous owner stuff.

None-the-less, the car is unique and appears to be in nice restorable shape.  Considering the unique configuration of components in the car, I think you have a lot of latitude for your restoration while still remaining "on course".  Have fun and enjoy the ride!  Screw the history and let the project be a testament to your automotive skills.

• Like 2

The low VIN club guys have to get their subtle digs in.  Your car (and you) don't meet their membership requirements.

Everything is there to make a running driveable enjoyable 240Z.  Value will be determined by the next buyer.  Good luck.

Sorry for the comment, it was off-base.  Thought I saw another fin in the water.

Seems like the real question should be if the car should be "restored" to its modified G-Nose state, or taken all the way back to its original state.  I've made comments about restoring before.  Why go all the way back to what the factory produced unless the car was unmodified and is just worn?  Anything else is not really a restore but a refabrication, or some  similar word.  I'd rather see the car in some attractive state and hear the story of how it got that way, than throw away all of its history.  If the history is interesting, then keep digging to get the details. 

Edited by Zed Head

After I wrote the comment I realized that it was almost perfectly balanced, and could be taken either way.  Decided to leave it.  Glad you didn't see it the bad way.

It's an interesting car with what might be an interesting story.  I would keep the history and restore it as Japanese G-nose (I think that's what it;s being represented as), that made its way to the states.  It's a look at how modifications were done in Japan, if I read the story right (the roll bar, for example).  That is fascinating history, to me.  There's probably plenty of factory original restores out there.