IGNORED

Mustache bar bushings

I had a tool made by a fabrication / machine shop in Atlanta. I had several of them made actually. 

Attached are two photos of the tool.

Below, also find a link to a video they made using the tool to fold the bushing shell into the swage shape. 

If someone wants to use the tool and ship it back to me or on to the next person wanting to use, I am happy to help accommodate. 

You should know though that I have never actually used the tool...which is why I have never mentioned it on the forum. I plan to use it in my refresh of my orange 72 and my dad's pearl black 78.

Mustache bar bushing tool video

MustacheBarBushingtool2 (Medium).jpg

MustacheBarBushingTool1 (Medium).jpg

• Like 2

A big nod of praise for Captain Obvious' and Jonathan Russell's efforts. Well done, gents.

I'm actually (finally) reassembling the rear suspension of my '71 and gave the moustache bar bushings and the ridged discs a close inspection. The bushings are swaged at one end and in too good condition to be original, leading me to wonder how/when they were replaced. The discs have the taller/deeper ridges but seem to fit quite well. I'm putting it all back together as-is and hope for the best. Even in the slightly worn condition I think it'll work fine for ordinary street use.

As an aside, I bought an RT diff mount a few months ago only to discover this weekend that it doesn't fit very well on the '70-'71 models. Has anyone had to modify theirs?

• Like 1

My opinion....I think that in many cases, most possibly, the mustache bar bushings that fit inside the mustache bar hole can be left original and not replaced. If they are cracked or pulling away from the sleeve or hardened then sure, replace. I just don't find that many of this particular bushing from the cars I have worked on fit my description in my last sentence. If I had bushings available and a way to install them, yes I would probably go ahead and replace but I would not think any negative noise or driving symptoms would result from running old but good condition mustache bar bushings. The key reason I am replacing is because I am powder coating all of my suspension pieces. No way I want to use a bushing that has been through the heat of powder coating.

The top and bottom washer mounted bushings, however, are different in my experience. Often they seem hard and sometimes cracked. Unfortunately, the bushing that I find difficult to locate is the lower washer bushing that has the smaller hole in the center.

And, as a side note (I know we are discussing the original Nissan bushing) unless they have changed, the Energy poly bushing kit uses the top washer for the top and bottom. The Prothane kit (at least the one I have) uses a proper smaller hole washer for the bottom washers. I like the Energy bushings better...seem a bit softer. When doing poly, I mix Energy and Prothane kits just to get the prothane washer. I am sure there is a washer out there somewhere that will work but it is a pretty thick washer and I haven't tried to locate.