IGNORED

Eibach Progressive Springs

I have Eibach lowering springs which I purchased from MSA 2 years ago (black/grey in color, 01 in the front) and Tokico HPs. My car is a '78 280Z with factory bumpers and AC. It dropped about 1" all around after I installed the Eibachs and Tokico combo. Although front and rear fenders had been rolled, during front end alignment we did have to adjust the Techno Toy Tuning TCAs to "pull" the tires back about 1/4" to remedy minor tire rub on the front fender but I'm very satisfied with the stance and handling. I'm running Konig Rewinds 16"x7" with Goodyear Eagle Sport 225/55/16 rubber.

20160718_120345.jpg20160718_123952.jpg

Edited by dmoralesbello
  • Like 1

Similar story here - Eibach Progressive's and Tokico HP's on the car.  Having Interpart Mulholland springs and shocks on the car for so many years, I really became accustomed to the lowered ride height and ride quality.  When I redid the car, I swapped everything out including poly bushings all around - a brutally harsh and noisy ride was the result!  The poly bushings are gone, replaced with OE and OEM rubber, the ride is now just harshly firm.  It's absolutely great on a good road surface but inner city streets are seldom that quality.  My biggest complaint is that shocks have now become an active part of the suspension and I suspect that aftermarket spring rates do not take that into account.  The result is a ride height approaching stock.  Rather than experiment with cutting coils from the Eibach's, my plan is to pull the springs from the '73 I've been stripping at the salvage yard and swap them out after cutting off a coil.  I've got 205/55 X 16 tires to retain the OE 25" tire diameter.

SAM_1653 - Copy.JPG

• Like 1

Jim.....Beautiful car.....Safari Gold does show the Z's off nicely. Second...Mulholland shocks and springs are a blast from the past! Now those springs really did lower a Z, and the shocks were roadable. I wonder if you search the web, if you could find a set of Mulholland goodies. Back in the 70's, I went with the adjustable Konis instead of the Mulhollands......Now those things would remove fillings, they were so harsh. I also agree that the rubber bushings (stock) are far and away the best choice for the street. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Diseazd said:

Guy - you certainly have a bit of an evil streak in you. ;)  The seller's description conflicts with the pics when he states they are for a 240.  The last pic shows the Mulholland colors and dot codes - black springs with blue and white dots as shown are for a 260.  The 240 springs merely had black and grey spring colors, no dots.

Jim

1 hour ago, Diseazd said:

Jim.....Beautiful car.....Safari Gold does show the Z's off nicely. Second...Mulholland shocks and springs are a blast from the past! Now those springs really did lower a Z, and the shocks were roadable. I wonder if you search the web, if you could find a set of Mulholland goodies. Back in the 70's, I went with the adjustable Konis instead of the Mulhollands......Now those things would remove fillings, they were so harsh. I also agree that the rubber bushings (stock) are far and away the best choice for the street. 

Yeah, always fun to get a short ride down memory lane and you know all about Safari Gold!  This is the car just before the teardown.  You can see it is noticeably lower by looking at the lack of opening at the top of the wheel arches and the tires.  I could barely get fingers into the gaps.  Steel wheels painted silver made do for my "alloys" back in my poor days.  The Mulholland springs eventually went to one of our forum members up north for the price of shipping.

02.jpg

• Like 1

I have the BRE/Mulholland springs and struts, as well as the sway bars, on one of my 71 Z's. Installed them originally in 1972. When I was doing the restore on it I managed to find a full set of the Mulholland struts, new in the box. The springs are grey (front) and blue (rear).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Classic Zcar Club mobile

• Like 1