IGNORED

Looking for a set of Sumitomo calipers MK63

JLPurcell

• 2 weeks later...

I have all of the suspension off the car for clean up and installation of Eibach progressive springs. I am also working on installation of the MK63 calipers. Kats has helped me find the parts needed to complete the project. (vented rotors, spring clips etc...) I have began the process of modifying a set of backing plates for the new calipers. I have marked a spare set of backing plates (silver area to be cut out and metal rolled over to resemble factory). I have a metal shop that will complete this for me, then I will clean the backing plates up (media blast) and have them powder coated. I believe that having backing plates will give a more complete look to the upgrade. I will continue to update as I progress. 

IMG_0136.JPG

IMG_0137.JPG

I'd love a set of these calipers for my cars. Apart from rebuilding the calipers, finding appropriate discs etc.. is there any other modification required to the braking system? I assume they work well with the rear drum set up?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gav240z said:

I'd love a set of these calipers for my cars. Apart from rebuilding the calipers, finding appropriate discs etc.. is there any other modification required to the braking system? I assume they work well with the rear drum set up?

Gav, I don't believe that others installing this system are considering brake bias (balance), but I had a set on my race car years ago and did have an inline system to balance the system. I still have those and will see if I need them in this application. These calipers are rare, reproductions are now available. I did not want reproduction calipers and was lucky in finding a set of NOS along with NOS rebuild kits for the future. The nice thing about the fact that these are being reproduced is that reproduction rebuild parts are now available and like the microprocessors for rally clocks this has driven up the value of the original rare calipers. 

Edited by JLPurcell
  • Like 1

Awesome that's the kind of information I was looking for Carl.

I wonder if those larger wheel cylinders are still available? Or if a machine shop could enlarge them to suit?

Does anyone know if you can still fit the 14" Topy steel wheels on the car when using the ventilated MK63 calipers?

9 hours ago, Gav240z said:

Awesome that's the kind of information I was looking for Carl.

I wonder if those larger wheel cylinders are still available? Or if a machine shop could enlarge them to suit?

Does anyone know if you can still fit the 14" Topy steel wheels on the car when using the ventilated MK63 calipers?

Gavin,

You'll find that - in practice - you don't need to do anything with your rear brakes except make sure that they are working perfectly. Both the solid rotor and ventilated rotor MK63s are plug and play for street and mild sporting use and you don't need to worry about F/R bias. I have used both solid and ventilated MK63s on all my cars and can tell you from experience that unless you are going racing you don't really need to worry.

The 13/16" rear cylinders were same size as those used stock on some of the C10-series Skylines, so parts are available but I wouldn't bother personally. If you get that serious about (period correct) brake performance you'd be fitting MK63s on the rear too, as per homologation...

The TOPYs might need a thin shim type spacer between hub and wheel, as used on the C10-series Skylines:

jaft161v3at.jpg   

• Like 1

Thanks Alan,

All very helpful as per usual, since you use these brakes on all your cars I'm assuming you find the upgrade worthwhile over the stock twin piston calipers then? I once owned a set of the Toyota S12 and S12W calipers and found them absurdly heavy compared to the stock rotors and you could really feel the difference in the steering (with the additional weight). I drove someone else's car with them on before fitting them to my own car and after that decided to sell them (S12) and keep the stock calipers.

I asked someone recently to weigh these and it turns out they are lighter than the standard calipers.

http://www.jdmjunkies.ch/wordpress/2015-12-11/240z-the-super-rare-sumitomo-mk63-ex-works-brake-delivery/

If they are indeed lighter or the same weight as the stock Sumitomo calipers then it's a no brainer in my book to do the upgrade. I really didn't want to do a brake upgrade that would rule out fitting the standard Topy steel wheels or other period wheels. There would be nothing worse than getting a puncture, going to the boot to fit the spare wheel and then realising it won't fit over your nice shiny aftermarket brakes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The modified backing plates are complete. I am happy with the results, they look factory. I believe having backing plates along with my MK63 caliper upgrade will enhance the overall upgrade. 

IMG_0166.JPG

Edited by JLPurcell
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Suspension back with Eibach Progressive springs and I am dry fitting my MK63 parts. I want to thank a member for his help with locating the needed parts for the caliper and rotor upgrade. I dry fitted the modified backing plates, calipers, and rotors tonight. It all goes together flawlessly. I like the way the modified backing plates fit to the MK63 calipers. 

IMG_0183.JPG

IMG_0184.JPG

IMG_0185.JPG

IMG_0186.JPG

• Like 2