Redwing

Somethings wrong...

You remember wrapping a chain around shrubs, trees or whatever and pulling them out of the ground with a car/ truck or lawnmower?  Now with the new grippy clutch you could pull something without slippage.  I'm kidding of course as I know you wouldn't do that with your red baby. 8^)

Just my late night joking (drinking).  Ready for SNL to come on.  Jeff Sessions as Forest Gump!  Too funny.

OK now I understand your joke.   Hahaha...  Bet you wouldn't do it with one of your Z's either!  

I don't  have to remember the spring ahead, my phone does it all by itself.  That's why they're called smartphones.  :P

Jai

• Like 1

Smart microwave?  Smart coffee pot?

You seen that Sonic commercial yet where the guy says he uses his smartphone everyday but doesn't make him any smarter then tries to drink through the cherry's stem? Pretty funny.

Yea, that guy is dorky funny.  I just shake my head on him.  The worst is, there are actually people out there just like him, for real.  Scary stuff.

Yipes, need to hide...

Jai

7 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

I think he means your clutch can now do crazy things like pulling stumps:

dodge_tree_pull.jpg

Yea now I understand.  I think I'll wait and let him show me how with his Z first.  

Hahaha...

Jai

• Like 2

By the way, Jai, there appears to be ethanol free gas in Chatsworth, too, if you trust that station.

Pure-Gas Map Eton.jpg

Yeah.....We've got oil coming out of the woodwork! Time to get rid of alcohol in gasoline.....get rid of 2% a year for 5 years.....then gone. That would give farmers a chance to adjust!    :pufff::Zap::zonk:.......out of here!!!!!!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, siteunseen said:

There's a plant that would bring the farmers back to their glory days as the wealthiest guys around.  It ain't corn. :o

Oregon's farmers are in their glory days. Keep Oregon green.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SteveJ said:

By the way, Jai, there appears to be ethanol free gas in Chatsworth, too, if you trust that station.

Pure-Gas Map Eton.jpg

Another option? One intrepid fellow back in the early 1900's had a problem with water in his alcohol fuel. He ran the alcohol fuel through a canister of calcium carbide. The water in the fuel reacted with the calcium carbide making acetylene gas, which he piped into the air intake. It worked so well that he had to introduce more water into the fuel to raise the octane level. But that only increased the acetylene. BTW, the early engines were called explosion engines. Some even tried gunpowder.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

Pure-Gas Map Eton.jpg

Thank you Steve.  But that is the gas station where I've gotten water gas twice now.  No more chances for me, they're  off my good list.  Permanently.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

Jai

Praise the Lord!  Another donation to help pay Pete for putting in the new clutch.  Absolutely incredible!!!    Thank you my dear friend!!!

You guys are wonderfully taking care of Redbird and myself.  I mentioned I would have a hard time coming up with the $ to pay for the new clutch, and God Bless you, members jumped right in to help with the need.  That shows the amazing integrity of this group and it's members.  The best thing I have done in years was to join almost 2 years ago.  I needed good help in figuring out RB's problems, too many local mechanics had no idea how to successfully work on her.  I did not trust them to not make things worse.  So here I am, quite happy with the choice I made.

I would imagine I gave you reason to chuckle a bit at my errors with descriptions etc., using novice lingo.  But that's ok,  I smiled at that too.  One way you came to know me better was sharing the inner workings of my mind.  To see is to know, or something like that.     :Yes:

Have a great day...

Jai

Oh my gosh...  another wonderful gift.  You, my friends, are treating me like a queen.  I can honestly say that I have never experienced a more caring bunch of people and I have never been treated this way.  You have given me far more than just a monetary gift.  I want to share, my life has been run down by circumstances beyond my control, and a very long time has passed since I have felt good.  But that is parting, and I am seeing the beauty in life again, I'm much better.  I will never forget each of you and the kindness you have shown to myself and my sweet RedBird.  

I thank each of you sincerely, for your presence in my life, and your gifts.

God bless you,

Jai

• Like 1

Hi my friends,

A catch up on Redbird and her new clutch.  What a difference in her performance, oh the ZOOM she has now!  I had no idea her driving was so not right.   Since the clutch she tries to jump out from underneath me.  Ha!  The trick with the alcohol in the gas seems to have cleared out those bugger gremlins that were making her stall out.  Nothing but good smooth running now.  Should have figured that out immediately.  Hopefully my avoiding that gas station will cause that to not happen again.

When I picked her up, I managed to leave the shop without stalling her out.  That was good, I did not want to look bad in front of Pete.  Lost it tho at the first stoplight.  The remainder of the trip home went well.  Today as I drove to church, I didn't even think of it and muscle memory took over the job for a beautiful drive.  At church, I was telling a friend about how this group jumped in and gifted me with $ for the clutch, and that the total was only $30 under the cost of the labor.   At that point, he got out his wallet and handed me $30, and said "now your labor charges are all paid for."  How amazing that was, I had no idea he would do that, what a sweet man.  So... the total of the installation of the clutch was $335, and with what you all sent plus Jim's gift at church, I have received the full amount I owed Pete.  I have been sending the $ to him via PayPal. Easier than driving over there, costs less gas too.  Now all I have to do is to finish out the month, with the $99 I spent for the parts, missing from the purse.  It is difficult to manage, but we (Deanna, RedBird, and myself) will make it.  Cuts out the goodies for the month.  Not gonna worry about that tho.  I have a wonderful ZOOM, in fine shape to drive!    

Hahaha...  I typed a "Z" back in that last sentence, and the auto correct changed it to ZOOM.  I like that better, so will leave it.  

Have a great afternoon all, blessings for each of you.  You are the BEST,

Jai

Edited by Redwing
not finished
  • Like 4

Spark plug report:

Here is a photo taken this afternoon.    I have driven her about 75 miles since the new spark plugs were put in.  I tried to get it earlier, but this was the fastest.  

So, give it an eyeball or two, and let me know your opinion.

Thanks bunches,

Jai

20170319_185642_1489965371171_1489970279377.jpg

Thank you Bob and Cliff.  I do appreciate your comments, and am SUPER thrilled about your diagnosis... we are free now to run and run and run!   Love it...:love:

Thanks ,

Jai

• Like 1

FLASH NEWS:

Michael, my neighbor the car paint pro, came over to look at a rust spot rearing it's nasty head up on RedBird.  I intended to photo the process of him working on it, but in the experience of watching and learning, I forgot.  This spot is along the edge of the left qtr. panel, where the hood  closes.  Mostly out of sight, but now was making an appearance on the top, not only on the side edge.  Michael did his magic (his every day work) on the spot making a temporary fix.  Explaining it will need further intense work on it soon as I can, as it is too far gone for a quick fix at this time.  I'm so happy at having this man right next door, but wished that the diagnoses was better.  Blah!  

He then went all over RB painting the simple road stone strikes, and similar.   So she is as good as she can be for now.  Maybe we will be able to squeeze out a few car shows this summer, before the rust spot gets worse.  Again he had much praise about the total condition of her.  Saying "for a daily driver, her engine is clean.  I've not seen one that clean without the normal stuff done to it to make it look good.  You can tell she was cared for".

So, yayyy, I'll be off to Chattanooga Saturday to meet with our members, and others.  Looks like a fun day ahead!

P. S. Added an older photo of the rust spot just to show where it is at.

20151023_134228_1490609611961.jpg

Edited by Redwing
add photo
  • Like 1

From the RIP DeAnna thread…..

"Hello all my friends,

I'll  start by saying that I'm doing the best I can.  Life is lonely here tho.  Thanks for all your comments. 

Redbird is now having some problems and I don't know of where to put my request for help.   The other night driving home in the dark my speedometer etc. dials were moving from bright to dim constantly.  The headlights also were dim.  When I got home the back up lights did not come on at all.  Easy get around is to not drive at night.  But I'm  concerned that somewhere in the vast amount of wiring, something may decide to catch on fire.  Not a problem for the moment, my wallet with all important things has disappeared.  I last saw it in my purse at church, drove right home, and it is not there now.  I did not stop anywhere, no way I could have left it anywhere.  Sooo, dear RedBird is going nowhere while I am without a drivers license.    No chances!"

I went by Jai's to check on Red Bird today.  We swapped out her non working tachometer with another that had an unknown history.  The new tach didn't work either so that problem is likely caused by something else.

As far as the Alternator is concerned with the car sitting at idle, the dash voltmeter reads 14-15.  With increased rpm's the voltmeter dances/floats between 13-16.

With my Innova 3320 multimeter on the battery with the car off it read    12.95

Engine on    14.2-14.6

With engine and headlights on    13.24

I've never done a voltage drop test before and I tried it on Redbird.

With the black to the Battery Neg and the Red to the Alt case at around 1500rpm it read -18 to -22 on my meter. It would not stay still.

On the positive side with red to red on the battery and the black to the b+ post on the Alt it read .1 to .4

I did find a loose battery to body ground that was semi loose and cleaned and tightened that.  Cleaned the Alternator connections with DeOxit and re-attached with dielectric grease. Checked an retightened the fan belt.
Restarted the car and the dash voltmeter read the same as before.

Any suggestions from electrical guys for the Tach?   And is it time for a new Alternator? 

• Like 2

RPM is important for voltage measurements. The FSM lists voltages for engine speed. 

For the tachometer, there is a resistor in the circuit. It is identified on page BE-3 of the FSM. There is also a ground and 12VDC source. Since the ground and 12VDC source are shared with other instruments, I would guess it's the resistor unless other gauges are acting up. Replacing it will probably require soldering in a new one on the old connector. 2.2Kohm 1 Watt would work. They have them at Frys, Amazon, etc. (Lifetime supply: https://www.amazon.com/Uxcell-a11101900ux0055-Metal-Resistor-Piece/dp/B015CHKSZW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1493437627&sr=8-4&keywords=2.2k+ohm+1+watt+resistor)

Without more testing, it's difficult to be sure if it's the alternator or voltage regulator. Rockauto has a closeout on a voltage regulator $12.52 + shipping. Their cheapest alternator is $22.06 +shipping, and that includes the core charge.

• Like 1

I suspect the voltage regulator. I had a similar situation. Charging system was over charging. The reason I say overcharging is because mine was all of a sudden nearly reading 15 volts and would never go over 13.25 even at revving the engine when the voltage regulator was working.

Edited by rcb280z
  • Like 2