IGNORED

Deja Vu: 1971 Restoration

motorman7

41 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Wuss. Post a pic without the hold-down plate installed so we can see if lug nuts were ever torqued down and smeared the paint.   :P

Funny, you made me look.  Looks like there were lug nuts installed at one time and some paint scratches around that area, but very minor.  No hubcap scratches on the rim and the tread looks brand new.   Still very impressive for such an old tire.

Here are a few more pics of bagged and labeled parts.  Also pics of parts with their respective fasteners so I get the right ones back in the correct place.  Since most of the fasteners will get re-zinced, the pics are a big help.  No use bagging those.  Also, parts are separated into silver zinc and yellow zinc tubs so we get the plating colorDSCF4170.JPG correct.

DSCF4166.JPG

DSCF4167.JPG

DSCF4168.JPG

DSCF4098.JPG

DSCF4112.JPG

DSCF4153.JPG

DSCF4097.JPG

Haha! Made ya look!  :)

My PO bead blasted everything and then clear coated the hardware instead of the original yellow coating. Not only does it look "wrong" to me, but it also rusts as soon as you chip the clear coat paint with a wrench. Looked great to sell the car (to me), but overall I think it is poor judgment. I would love to go through what you are and have all the plating redone. I think that looks awesome when complete.

Started removing parts from the engine bay in prep for engine removal.  Removed the battery and was happy to see the battery tray in good condition.  It's dirty, but looks like little to no rust.  That is very nice.  I think I will remove the compressor before I pull the motor.  That should make things a bit easier.  Should have the motor out this weekend.  The fan looks a little beat up.  Not sure what happened there.  Maybe an oldwater pump had bad bearings and the fan rubbed against the radiator fins.  Anyway, the strip down is going along pretty quickly.  I am hoping to finish the part removal phase this month and do the body work in February.  Then, off to the paint shop with a rolling chassis in March....hopefully.

DSCF4194.JPG

DSCF4175.JPG

DSCF4189.JPG

Motorman7,

Your friends' car is an early '72 model Series III car built with in late 1971. I find the early Series III cars to be interesting. I like the vertical defroster lines on the early Series III cars: Sept thru Nov of '71?  My very first Z that I bought when I was in college was an early '72 (HLS30-59523), but it had the horizontal defroster lines since it was built in 12/71. However, it still had the older, non-retractable seat belts, as well as a blank plastic plug in its Series II console fuse box cover where the seat belt light was later installed in the '72 models starting in 1/72.  My son and I used to have HLS30-64733, built in 1/71 and it had the retractable seat belts with the seat belt light and the annoying buzzer that was still operational when we bought the car in 2004.

Good luck with the 918 Orange project! 

Hi Steve,

I am pretty sure it is a '71, but will check when I get home.  Will check the build date also.  Also, seat belts are not retractable.  Interesting thing is the shoulder harnesses are missing for both driver and passenger.  Owner said the car did not come with those.  Maybe taken off by the dealer?  Will post info later when I get pics.

Best regards,

Rich

21 hours ago, lonetreesteve said:

Motorman7,

Your friends' car is an early '72 model Series III car built with in late 1971. I find the early Series III cars to be interesting. I like the vertical defroster lines on the early Series III cars: Sept thru Nov of '71?  My very first Z that I bought when I was in college was an early '72 (HLS30-59523), but it had the horizontal defroster lines since it was built in 12/71. However, it still had the older, non-retractable seat belts, as well as a blank plastic plug in its Series II console fuse box cover where the seat belt light was later installed in the '72 models starting in 1/72.  My son and I used to have HLS30-64733, built in 1/71 and it had the retractable seat belts with the seat belt light and the annoying buzzer that was still operational when we bought the car in 2004.

Good luck with the 918 Orange project! 

If Motoman7 will forgive another off-topic followup.

Interesting - some addition notes. Nissan's TSB TS72-29 lists HLS30 62001 as the beginning of the Horizontal Defroster Lines (also the seat belt holders were added to the center console per TS72-69). TS72-29  also notes that there were no Defroster Lines in 240Z's before HLS30 01456, and provides guidance as to how to install them at the Dealership.

Didn't the Series II console fuse box cover - have a hole for the Cig.Lighter?  Anyway - the early Series III (1972 Model Year) had a black space - where the coming Seat Belt Warning Light was planned to go. The structure of the seats had to be changed - to hold the seat belt sensors. The early 72's still had the Pirelli rubber like webbing supporting the foam - the newer seats have steel springs supporting the foam & the seat belt sensors. The early 72's had no "pocket" in the floor behind the seats - for the seat belt retractors - and thus no self retracting seat belts. A little later the Pockets starting showing up - but still with no retractors.. So it seems that 09/71 through most of 1/71 the transition to the newer safety requirements were "in process".  AIR.. the standards had to be in place by March of 72. So any thing produced after that date had to fully comply. ( I'm the original owner on an early 72 - and the second owner on a later 72).

As mentioned earlier - the 72 Center Console was redesigned to accommodate the newer Type B 4spd. at which point Nissan also moved the differential rearward to reduce the low frequency harmonics transmitted into the cabin.

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the info on the differences between the various Z models.  I was not aware of the differences as my 3 Z's are earlier models that have the standard seat belt attachment without the re-tractors.  Also, I will have to look closer at the center console.  This one does look nice and the warning lights (choke and rear window de-fog) work.  This is much better than I am used to.

Best regards,

Rich

22 hours ago, Carl Beck said:

If Motoman7 will forgive another off-topic followup.

Interesting - some addition notes. Nissan's TSB TS72-29 lists HLS30 62001 as the beginning of the Horizontal Defroster Lines (also the seat belt holders were added to the center console per TS72-69). TS72-29  also notes that there were no Defroster Lines in 240Z's before HLS30 01456, and provides guidance as to how to install them at the Dealership.

Didn't the Series II console fuse box cover - have a hole for the Cig.Lighter?  Anyway - the early Series III (1972 Model Year) had a black space - where the coming Seat Belt Warning Light was planned to go. The structure of the seats had to be changed - to hold the seat belt sensors. The early 72's still had the Pirelli rubber like webbing supporting the foam - the newer seats have steel springs supporting the foam & the seat belt sensors. The early 72's had no "pocket" in the floor behind the seats - for the seat belt retractors - and thus no self retracting seat belts. A little later the Pockets starting showing up - but still with no retractors.. So it seems that 09/71 through most of 1/71 the transition to the newer safety requirements were "in process".  AIR.. the standards had to be in place by March of 72. So any thing produced after that date had to fully comply. ( I'm the original owner on an early 72 - and the second owner on a later 72).

As mentioned earlier - the 72 Center Console was redesigned to accommodate the newer Type B 4spd. at which point Nissan also moved the differential rearward to reduce the low frequency harmonics transmitted into the cabin.

Thanks for clarifying things, Carl.  I should have said that my Series III console and not Series II console on my 12/71 240Z had the blank plug where the coming seat belt warning light was planned to go.  You also mentioned that Nissan's records indicate that HLS30-62001 as the beginning of the horizontal defroster lines.  So my thinking is that perhaps my former 240Z's (HLS30-59523) rear hatch glass with vertical defroster lines was broken at some point before I bought the car in September 1978 and was replaced with a new a piece of hatch glass with horizontal defroster lines. 

On 1/11/2017 at 7:53 PM, Carl Beck said:

I. The early 72's had no "pocket" in the floor behind the seats - for the seat belt retractors - and thus no self retracting seat belts.

my car #65002, which as far as i can figure, was built in 1/72, has the pockets for the seatbelts, and the retractors

• Like 1

Took out the AC compressor and bracket, engine harness, grill,head lights and turn lights, fuel tank, vapor tank and other small parts and hoses.  Should have the motor out tomorrow.  This is progressing fairly well.  No glitches at all.  I did find one item at the forward tie down location where a bolt had been sheared off.  Will drill and tap that before paint.  Pics are below.

DSCF4224.JPG

DSCF4229.JPG

DSCF4227.JPG

DSCF4210.JPG