IGNORED

HLS30-00006 at the Crusher?

Correct. HLS30-00006 was not at the International Auto Show, NYC in April, 1970.  Bob Sharp had ownership by then. He received it  ~ early Feb after it was damaged at a Jan show in Montreal.

Here is what [mention=2845]Carl Beck[/mention] shared about the 1969 show at the Pierre Hotel in NYC:
Oct. 22nd, 1969 was the date that Nissan Motors Ltd. held its International Preview of the Datsun 240Z in New York, NY.
According to Mr. Dunn - who headed the PR Firm that handled the arrangements at the time -The International Preview {planned weeks in advance} was held in New York instead of the more usual US automobile model introductions held in Detroit - - because Nissan did not want to seem disrespectful of the U.S. Auto Industry. {by introducing an import car in the heart of the US Auto Industry aka Detroit } The Datsun 240Z was flown in from Japan the week before, so the display could be built in the Grand Ballroom of the hotel.
The introduction of the Datsun 240Z was made by Mr. M. Okuma, Managing Director of Nissan Motor Co. Ltd., Export Division, accompanied by Mr. Y. Katayama, President of Nissan Motor Corp. in U.S.A. and Mr. S. Kawazoe, Vice President of Nissan Motor Corp. in U.S.A..
Because most of the automotive reporters at the time were located in Detroit, Nissan chartered a plane to bring the Detroit media to New York for the event and to return them home after.
After the International Preview in NY - the 240Z was flown to L.A. - where it made it's West Coast Debut the 24th of Oct. 1969 at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel in Hollywood. {the Hotel used in the movie Pretty Woman and many others}
He also mentioned in another thread that the organizer recalled the car to be gold.

Here are some shows I've been tracking looking for Z info on the web. [mention=8294]Mike B[/mention] and [mention=3383]26th-Z[/mention] have great info too:

image.png.b55432fe961fd796fc09f1082fb5f0c6.png

You also need to add the first 240Z shown in Canada to your list. You need to look to the West....

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, HS30-H said:

Interesting how this so often seems to happen. Missing:

1969-10-18 Tokyo (Nissan Ginza 'Press Preview' of the entire - at launch - S30-series Z range)

1969-10-24 through 1969-11-6 Tokyo (16th Tokyo Motor Show - all models - over 1.5 million visitors) 

You jump the gun again... here is a glimpse of the Hoover Bag.

Press Preview falls under Press directory.  Same as Pierre Hotel show.

Tokyo show is included in my list.

Please read twice and insult once.

image.png

43 minutes ago, HS30-H said:

You might want to try one of your Grayscale experiments on one of the numerous photos* of the car at the Pierre Hotel NY event. Doesn't look 920 to me.

*LOL

I dare you to show a photo of the Pierre Hotel event!  I have never seen one.  If you were tracking correctly, the photo you refer to is the NYC show in April 1970 and it was a green car with bumper over rider.

6 minutes ago, Mike B said:

You also need to add the first 240Z shown in Canada to your list. You need to look to the West....

As mentioned, I'm still looking... this is all I have so far on Vancouver.

I'd be grateful if you shared more.

image.png

As mentioned, I'm still looking... this is all I have so far on Vancouver.
I'd be grateful if you shared more.
image.png.7026a2fce5ee34854654492281f1a922.png
The first 240-Z for display to the Canadian public arrived in Vancouver on Nov 10, 1969 for the Pacific International Motor Show.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 240260280 said:

Press Preview falls under Press directory.  Same as Pierre Hotel show.

Tokyo show is included in my list.

Please read twice and insult once.

So you classify the NY and LA 'trunk shows' (that's what I'm calling them...) as 'Press' only events? Good. I think it's more realistic than "The International Preview", which is what they are regularly referred to as. Perhaps you'd like to spread the word?

Why have you got 26th October for the Tokyo Motor Show? It opened its doors (to the general public, not just the press) on 24th October. The Press Preview at Nissan's Ginza showroom (the real 'International Preview', as far as I can tell) started on 18th October and ran for three days.

Don't feel insulted. Feel grown up and engaged in a debate.

1 hour ago, Mike B said:

The first 240-Z for display to the Canadian public arrived in Vancouver on Nov 10, 1969 for the Pacific International Motor Show.

BIG THANKS MIKE!

I could only find the "import auto show" in Vancouver which was Sept and too early.

I dare you to show a photo of the Pierre Hotel event!  I have never seen one.  If you were tracking correctly, the photo you refer to is the NYC show in April 1970 and it was a green car with bumper over rider.

"...the photo you refer to...".  I'm not referring to the April '70 NYC show car.

I'm referring to the actual car at the Pierre Hotel "International Preview", reportedly the same car that was flown down to LA and shown at the Beverly Wilshire (and presumably not stopping for a colour change pit stop at Earl Scheib along the way).  

Considering the effort gone to - flying a car in from Japan and a bunch of hacks over from Detroit - you could be forgiven for imagining that everybody was asked not to photograph the car. Where's the coverage? "No Photo!" Most of the copy filed seems to have used Nissan stock photos from the press release...

I'm calling them trunk shows because they would appear to have trouble living up to the hype they've been given. Drinks, canapes, a car under a sheet, press packs, speeches. Would have been great to be there of course, but if I was one of those Detroit hacks I think I would have preferred to be flown to Tokyo instead...         

I dare you to show a photo of the Pierre Hotel event!  I have never seen one. 

Don't you think this kind of adds weight to my Force Majeure 'trunk show' point? We are told that the Pierre Hotel event was organised "weeks in advance", as though that's a long lead-time. No photos? Really?

If I post one, what will be your forfeit? It'll be a one-off transaction, by default. Once it's in your Hoover bag it'll travel...

Nissan sent jets filled with US dealers to Japan out of appreciation.  Flying journalists on a 1 hour flight to NYC is nothing. There are 5 documented  240z's flown to the USA around the time of the show in Oct 1969. HLS30-00004 to 8 inclusive.  Another one or two came over by jet in Dec. 

Why not add to these discussions rather than nit picking?

This is very fun to read , we can gather information what we have got so far and we will see some interesting facts .

When I am home on Sunday,  I will check the LA auto show held in late 1969 had a silver 240Z , with C pillar emblems , without D emblem on hub caps .

I guess the car could be different from the two test cars in the North America during Oct to Dec 1969 . 

Kats

• Like 1

It was probably HLS30-00008.

No matter how much some wish there was no car....there was a Z at the Pierre Hotel according to the NY Times (thanks to @Carl Beck?

N.Y.Times 23, Oct. 69 - Datsun Enters the Middle-Priced Sports Car Market

"Nissan Motor Company Ltd., which has built it reputation on economy cars, is making a determined bid for the middle-priced sports car market. The company showed its Datsun 240Z sports car at it international preview yesterday at the Pierre Hotel. The car is expected to be competitive with Detroit-built sports-type of cars and European sports cars.".....