IGNORED

The dreaded oil pan pull!

rcb280z

Well unfortunately I have put off the pan gasket. Let me explain why. I crawled under the car this morning to look at things, making sure I would grab everything I needed to reduce the amount of times having to climb out because I forgot something. Wanted to have everything ready. So while I was laying there looking at everything I noticed one of the pan bolts had a drop of coolant hanging from it! It was one of the bolts at the right rear of the pan on the drivers side "the lowest point" due to the angle of the motor. Where the hell did that come from, I said out loud.  After searching around for awhile I believe I have figured it out. I think its been about a year and a half now but I had a slight coolant leak where the head meets the block on the oil filter side between cylinders 3 and 4. I used some stop leak and at the time it seemed to slow it down if not stop it. Well now it looks as if it has come back. So it seems that it is traveling the path of between the head and block "HG" area around the back of the head and down the slopped area of the block and along the oil pan. A few weeks ago I cinched down the pan bolts and was assuming that is why there were drops of, what I thought was oil, on my garage floor. Guess I was wrong. I've posted pics. I think its time to pull the motor. Been wanting to go through it so I think its time. 

1210161243a.jpgYou can see the coolant on the slop of the block in this pic

1210161324.jpgMost of this was from the previous leak. But you can see where it is building up on the bottom of the block.

1210161244c.jpgThis is as close as I could get to where the head meets the block on the drivers side.

1210161325.jpgThe next 3 pics are just extra shots of the passenger side of the block.

1210161325a.jpg

1210161326.jpgSo like I said it might be time to pull it out and go through it.

Some of that you see around the oil filter is from a previous leak making it look really bad. I feel the right thing would be to pull it and just do a minor overhaul. Do you agree? I mean crank and rod bearings, rings, possibly valve seals, timing chain, repaint the block. It runs good now, just has leaks. Good compression. Doesn't burn oil. 

• Like 1