IGNORED

Half-Shaft U-Joint Rebuild

rossiz

After I stripped, de-greased/cleaned and lubricated my lathe, I went to town on my drill press and all my vices and indexing chucks.... they turn like butter now.  Lots of crusty cosmoline and rust lurking inside.

20wt oil and a green scotchbrite pad do wonders on cleaning ground surfaces.

Yah so you know I have a series I console that I refuse to cut. plus I wanted to maintain the short shift lever I am used to. So I made up my mind I find a solution. first I reversed the location of the fulcrum pin which dropped it further into the trans without any negative effect. Then I took a lever from a 83 Zx which is nearly straight and put it in a vise and started working on it with a benzine torch and a floor jack handle. Kept working it till it cleared the console. Once that was done I needed it to go up into the inner boot and the console boot.
So far it clears everything. Final test will be actually driving.
Put the R200 in today and drive line is perfect except the rear yoke. Length is good and So i experimented with taking out the u joint so I can add the new yoke. Havent done that in a while and the Nissan yokes are a royal pain. Installing should be easy. Really erked me to remove a good joint. Two days ago I was about to abandon the change over project but took my anger out on Zed Head. Then decided to prove I was wasn't s total idiot. I'm done with that now.
I'll give keep you posted. IMG_4725.JPGIMG_4726.JPG

Don's iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

I have heard the trick is to flip the bushings over and change the pin position. 

I like the bends you made, I still have the straight ZX shifter too, and a straight 510 shifter along with a 720 shifter. I should be able to make something work. 

I thought the R200 used clip in half shafts, not the bolt on with the Diff stubs. I could be wrong. The later K diffs had clip in for sure, thats what I am going to use. 

The half shafts should be the same length except for the VLSD which had different R to L.

I have not gotten far on my 5sp swap yet. I keep cleaning and painting all the other parts. 

The R200 I purchased came from a 300z with stub axles that bolt to my 240z halfshafts. Came with haft-shafts that need new joints. My 240 shafts are ready to so bolted them in. Just checking to make sure it's okay. Somewhere I heard R200s have a shorter shaft on one side???? Not sure where I heard that.

By flipping the pin mechanism over it extended the lower part of the shifter a 1/2 inch. Seem to work fine. I haven't measured the total movement of the shifter ball yet for comparison.
More to come as I progress. Forgot to order Redline and don't have enough. So have to find some.