IGNORED

Fuel not reaching filter/fuel pump

882993md

31 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

When I drained my tank a few months back and replaced rotten fuel lines, I did not have any trouble pulling fuel through it, but the line to the mechanical pump wasn't pulled. You might try priming the fuel rail and the line going up to the mechanical pump. The electric pump doesn't run unless the key is in the ON position. It doesn't get power when cranking the engine.

Thanks Steve,

ive been cranking the car. Let me try leaving in the on position for a minute or so.

Howard

"Refurbish" for old tanks often means using tank sealer to cover up rust that can't be removed and pinholes.  Could be that yours wasn't fully cured and has sagged down over the outlet port.

Really though, you're just going to have to do more than work with the end of the hose at the filter in the engine bay.  You're just guessing at things, like gasoline solidifying in the lines.  That's not going to happen, even after years.  It's just a metal tank,  with some holes, and some hose and metal line leading to the engine bay.  You could pick any junction between the filter and tank and loosen  a hose clamp and you'll know more.  It will either be dry or wet.

1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

Are you sure that you didn't get your vent and liquid lines mixed up?  I think that there's a check valve in the vent line.  There is on the 280Z's, do't know about 260Z's.

And if you have an electric pump in the back it might have a check valve also.  So blowing air back to the tank might be the wrong test.  I'd loosen the line at the tank nipple and see if any fuel leaks out.  And blow air forward.

Thanks Zed. If priming the line doesn't work I'll try what you suggested.

Howard

12 minutes ago, 882993md said:

Thanks Steve,

ive been cranking the car. Let me try leaving in the on position for a minute or so.

Howard

That won't work. The motor has to be running, too, as the power for the fuel pump comes off of the alternator.

1 hour ago, 882993md said:

Wanted to update everyone. I bought a harbor freight hand pump for liquid. I thought I would use that to pull the fuel up to the fuel filter. I connected the pump to the rubber line that connects to the fuel filter and no gas. :(

1974 270z

Did anything come though, like air, or was the line blocked?  This looks like your strongest test result.

Seems like there are enough clues in the thread to figure something out.  If if you connected a good powerful pump to the correct line in the engine bay and got nothing through the line then there probably is a clog.  If you got air you might just have an empty tank.  If you could describe in detail this pumping operation you might save yourself some time.  Just saying, there are small details missing that might have meaning.

1 hour ago, SteveJ said:

That won't work. The motor has to be running, too, as the power for the fuel pump comes off of the alternator.

I have an electric pump on my 1972 connected to the factory preinstalled wiring.

It runs with the key on and engine not running.

Can't speak for a 260Z. But you can hear the pump if it is running for sure.

11 minutes ago, Lumens said:

I have an electric pump on my 1972 connected to the factory preinstalled wiring.

It runs with the key on and engine not running.

Can't speak for a 260Z. But you can hear the pump if it is running for sure.

The wiring is completely different. It is documented in the FSM.

Problem resolved!

I disconnected the fuel line from the gas tank and nothing came out of the pickup nipple. I'm thinking there's no way this is all due to fuel below pickup level. 

I go buy a 5 gallon fuel jug and put it all in the tank. My guess is I now have 8 gallons inside. I remove the valve cover and work the rocker arm until I start hearing a squishing sound. I put the valve cover back on and turn the key-its starts. Five days of chasing my tail. 

Thank you everyone for the help and input. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/21/2016 at 5:58 AM, dotsunZ said:

I had the same problem in my 240z. It's the gas tank having a vacuum leak. I would definitely check the gas tank for any ripped hoses it's pretty easy to do

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Thanks. I also found a torn vent hose that attaches on the driver side of the tank and runs up into the rear compartment over to the passenger side.