IGNORED

My New Diff Mount and Strap Project

Living in the rainy NW, if I had backed off every time the wipers lifted, I'd still be trying to get to where I was going. Oh yeah, I forgot yet another lift factor in Zs. Traveling at speed, hit a puddle and the steering wheel goes limp. Yahoo, it's a hydroplane too.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, munters said:

When I bought my 240 in 1984 I was driving often over 220km/h and there was no problem (with heckspoiler and no airdam) maybe the air was better then ?

Must have been a 5 speed then ? Or not a stock engine...

The 4 speed top speed is rated at 201 km/h. ( and that would be very optimistic in my eyes, since the Original camshaft isn't doing anything much after 5500 rpm. 

16 minutes ago, bartsscooterservice said:

The 4 speed top speed is rated at 201 km/h. ( and that would be very optimistic in my eyes, since the Original camshaft isn't doing anything much after 5500 rpm.

I did'nt know what the top of the 4 speed version was but seems high... the Original euro (Netherlands) version with the FS5C71B gearbox was rated at 205km/hr.  For the RPM's… my 240z engine is totally Original (thats with all stock parts!!) and rev's easely up to 7000 if i let it.. (although the red line is at 6500)

4 hours ago, bartsscooterservice said:

Must have been a 5 speed then ? Or not a stock engine...

Yes Its a Europe Version 1972 FS5C71A. And of course I have no Idea what the real Speed was (I would say nobody does, because GPS didnt exist) but I was able to drive up to 230/235 on the speedo.

21 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

I did'nt know what the top of the 4 speed version was but seems high... the Original euro (Netherlands) version with the FS5C71B gearbox was rated at 205km/hr.  For the RPM's… my 240z engine is totally Original (thats with all stock parts!!) and rev's easely up to 7000 if i let it.. (although the red line is at 6500)

yes mart.. it revs to 7k sure, mine did also, but with the other cam now i notice it's not falling flat on it's face compared to the Original camshaft which doesn't do much after 5500 rpm ( you can also find this in test review from car and driver ) although you think so cause you are making a ton of rpm..  I can clearly notice the difference.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15143644/datsun-240z-road-test/

'' With the help of two SUs and a 9.0-to-one compression ratio it generates 151 horsepower at 5600 rpm, and if you are so inclined you can turn it all the way to 7000 rpm before you hit the red line. We aren't inclined, however. Like all Datsuns, the torque curve is as flat as Nebraska and the engine noise is so unpleasant above 6500 that there is just no reason to ever go up there. ''

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a10273163/first-drive-datsun-240z/

'' The 240Z six is quiet and smooth at low engine speeds, as you would expect, but has an almost unpleasant rumbly growl when wound out. We found the power peak to be at about 5500 rpm rather than the 6000 quoted; there is certainly no value in going up to the 7000-rpm redline! ''

I tried mine a few times and it tops out at around 200/205 so it's correct, but then I am maxing out my rpm and the car really doesn't like that at all.

I can imagine why engines wore out so quick back in the days with those short gear box ratios.. lot's of rpm= more wear

21 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

The 5 speed sure has a higher top speed, and higher final drive ratio, that I can tell.