IGNORED

1971 HLS30-14938 "Lily" build

Patcon

So I found an issue when test fitting the tail light finishers. The gaps on either end were different

20211204_105744.jpg20211204_105759.jpg

About a tenth of an inch different. So what I did was oval out the holes in the top edge of the panels so they can all shift to the right.

After that, the gaps were identical.

I also noticed something in the bumper indentions on either side.

The spot welds on the right side are nice and uniform

20211206_174628.jpg20211206_174630.jpg

On the left side, not so much...

20211206_174639.jpg20211206_174643.jpg

So I am assuming the ones on the left reflect the impact from a wreck on the rear of the car. The floor board shifted forward enough to pull all the spot welds forward and make them look pulled forward

This was the current status at the end of the weekend

20211205_124605.jpg20211205_124611.jpg20211205_124614.jpg

Edited by Patcon
  • Like 1

I also worked on the tail light panel some on the right side. I noticed it wasn't flat so I started messing with it and it was badly oil canned. So I worked on shrinking it.

I might could have made one video if I knew how to work my phone but I obviously don't :blush:

The area I tried to shrink got better but I couldn't get it right. So I eventually cut a relief cut and welded it up. That made it very acceptable. I may have over heated the first couple of spots and sometimes that makes it difficult to get it shrunk all the way down. It's also possible when I reinstalled the the tail light panel, I put that oil can in it and it just wouldn't shrink enough. I also don't have a shrinking hammer and dolly. That might have helped especially when you have it hot

• Like 2

I  can struggle with being obsessive. It makes me good at my job, but it can bog my projects down.

I keep telling myself I cant see the back of the car from the driver's seat and it doesn't matter. How's that working out? 🙂

• Like 2

I read a story about Steve Jobs. When his engineers came to him with the first iPhone prototype Steve asked them what kind of screw they were using. He said he wanted stainless steel, they told him it would only add cost and no value to the the phone. He said something like “ but I’ll know they aren’t stainless”.
I too struggle with being obsessive and it helps me be good at my job but can bog me down to with personal projects. My old boss told me once, “Don’t let perfect be the enemy of good.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree 1

On 12/7/2021 at 10:27 AM, Captain Obvious said:

The rest of the car better be just as good!

Ohhh! Now you're adding pressure! 😉

If it's not, you and I will get a few beers and then we won't care. 🙂

Edited by Patcon
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Yeah, but my point is that even if you would get out of the driver's seat and walk around the back of the car you STILL can't see underneath the taillight panels and licence plate backing plate!!

Are you saying that part won't be obvious, Captain?