IGNORED

Float level advice, please.

siteunseen

So my inserts were made on a lathe (because I have a lathe and I'm not afraid to use it), but you could probably find something store bought that would perform the same task.

My thoughts on that are... Brass has higher density than steel. And steel has higher density than aluminum. I used brass because it was the highest "bang for the buck" in the density department meaning that the insert could be made smaller to get the highest mass (as compared to steel and aluminum). If for some future reason, the ballasts I put in there are deemed too heavy, I can switch out to steel or aluminum in the future to lighten them up.

I'd be happy to talk on the phone about your frustrations. If you want, send me a PM and we'll do some of that. I feel your pain.  LOL

Adding my 2 cents, I believe that CO created a great solution for the wayward float!  The "bloat" works great on my setup, and I have no calibration issues like you are running into, Madkaw.  I highly recommend the concept!  

Bruce, I like the new screw idea!

Just got off the phone with my car friend and PHD physics guy. His thought was as long as you had a reasonable amount of fuel in the float bowl, the Venturi will pull the fuel pass the jet fine . It’s more critical that the jet and needle are the same on both carbs than it is to get max amount of fuel in the bowl . I like the idea of the floats being more level , but it doesn’t add any more fuel to the bowl ( volume ) . I think getting the float needle to sit in the float tang properly is important too - especially with these flat tipped float needles

I believe the importance of getting the float level-ish is to prevent it from hitting the underside of the lid.

Here's a description of the problem I've had. This is what was happening that made me add some weight.

Level is too low, adjust the tang.
Level is still too low, adjust the tang some more.
Level is still too low, adjust the tang some more.
Bam! Carb overflows.

At that point, the float is probably hitting the underside of the lid, or maybe even or the inside of the bowl if the angle is extreme enough.