IGNORED

Rally Clock on Ebay

kmack

If I learned well from Master Alan, This particular clock does not need the separate "control box" or aka "oscilator" that the early model rallye clock (2 knob clock?) requires.

This clock is know as the calender clock and is from later model cars (77~78?).

I'd really like to find out the output of this oscilator device. I'm sure it could be duplicated. It would be nice to install my early rallye clock. It's not doing me much good sitting on the coffee table. It's only a good conversational piece when Datsun nuts come over. Other than that, It's a good dust magnet.

• 2 years later...

The clock on e-Bay is not the one as offered by Datsun on the 70-73 zcars in japan. This clock does NOT have a control box and the bezel on the rally portion is fixed. Also the early rally clock (70-73) has two knobs on the face.

The one on eBay could very well work, but it better have been rebuilt or it won't be working long. The clock is still a nice clock and different from the standard clock.

If you want to see what this early clock looks like it's on my web page (zclocks.com) or see the attachment.

Zclocks

Ron,

What can you tell me about getting one serviced?

26th,

Just asked Ron about the same question -- but first wanted to know how to test my clock. My Rally looks nearly the same, but the second knob (the conical shaped knurled part) is missing. Want to test it first so I can decide whether I need to send it in to be worked on. The clock face on mine is in nice shape. Gary

Gary,

These (the early two knob) clocks are very sensitive and parts are not available. I've worked on a hand full and their all different. First you need to determine if the motor in the clock is working. The way you do this is connect it to a battery and you will hear the motor hummmmm.

If it doesn't then that's problem number one. The clock is just a motor and lots of gears. The real timing, accuracy, and control is in the control box. Whatever you do don't play with it as you can screw it up beyond repair.

To be very conservative I have seen the two knob rally clock go for > $400 so make sure the repair service you pick is experienced and has worked on this particular clock.

For the rest of everyone who's asking about the control box(unit) , YOU CAN"T BUY ONE and their NOT AVAILABLE. This unit is 39 years old and very unique. Without going into a lot of detail this is an RF engineer's nightmare.

To be very honest most of the early rally clocks I have worked on I have been very lucky to fix and I only say that because there are no parts and if something breaks you have to build that part(if you can) from scratch.

So like I said earlier, pick your repair service carefully or you could loose the clock(early two knob) entirely. As far as the single knob clocks goes I can service and refurbish without problems. Currently I have one on eBay for sale...

Ron