IGNORED

Seat upgrade -350z seats

madkaw

There's several threads out there where these seats have been installed, but haven't found one using power seats or was there any mention how the seat belts worked with the seats. Non retract seat belts would fit easier, but then I think I would just be stepping backwards with that set up. I like my retracts. I might have to bolt the mechanism to the floor under the seat and squeeze the strap along the side. 

Seat width is really about the same - actual seat. The mechanism is really what starts making it tight. 

I took apart the 240 tracks and going to use 1/2 of the slide tracks to keep original bolt pattern. Using 3/16 flat stock to tie everything together puts the seat at stock height. 

On the seatbelt topic, you might consider the WESCO roadster belts.  The retractor mounts at the shoulder belt mount point above the quarter window and the other end at the outboard floor mount point.  Of course, the buckle component mounts at the standard tunnel location.  You end up with a modern, tidy 3-point belt with a smooth retractor action.  I have them in my car, no mods needed.

6 hours ago, jfa.series1 said:

On the seatbelt topic, you might consider the WESCO roadster belts.  The retractor mounts at the shoulder belt mount point above the quarter window and the other end at the outboard floor mount point.  Of course, the buckle component mounts at the standard tunnel location.  You end up with a modern, tidy 3-point belt with a smooth retractor action.  I have them in my car, no mods needed.

Jim, I think heard about those belts from you, been using them for 3 yrs, they're great.

I went ahead and ordered the Wesco belts based on your recommendations  guys. It was going to be very difficult to get mine to fit and I need every spare mm for this install. I had to get out the BFH and do some interior body work on the trans tunnel . It gets tight back towards the bulkhead and won't allow the seat to go all the way back. It didn't take much , but it is altering the body which might bother some folks. Other than that its a matter of making the brackets sit as low as possible to maximize head room. Right now the seats sit stock height, but I'm shooting for enough room to fit a helmet.

I got my belts today but I am confused as to how it works . The instructions show only mounting the retractor on the floor, no other options. Did I get the right one! These are 3 pt retractable WELR.  It has a sash guide that needs to mounted somewhere, so that's why I think I might have the wrong belts.

Mount them in reverse of the instructions: retractor at the quarter window using the OE shoulder belt bolts, the other end at the outboard floor mount.  The retractor should pivot freely if you've used the plastic bushings.  You should be able to sit in the seat and pull the belt across your body towards the tunnel.  By sash guide, do you mean a plastic cover over the latch belt?  The latch belt mounts to the inboard location at the tunnel.  For my install I had to add some angle to the bracket to get it to seat properly against the floorboard.  Let me know if this all works out.

Edit:

OK, I jumped over to the WESCO site and may have spotted the issue.  The belt you want is called the Roadster Retractable and you should get the 11" rigid sleeve end.  This belt does not have a sash.  I have the standard buckle but you have choices for extra $.  Sorry for any confusion on model.

Jim

Edited by jfa.series1
  • Like 1

You guys said roadster belts so I should have been paying attention. The sash would be a nice add if there was a place to put it. 

I did use the belts I got to see how things would bolt up and line up. I realized after studying the 350 seats that the receiver end actually bolts to the seat frame and not the car. Good thing because I'm running short on room. 

Looks like the 8" belt will be more than long enough for my application. The hardware kit was a good investment because the bolts work everywhere I need them to. Might not use the angle brackets , but they might come in handy later.