IGNORED

Just got a 280z for free

66corvair

I see now.  I think it's a universe of wide open spaces thing.  Those disappear as populations grow.

Sounds like you're talking yourself out of this one.  If you're planning to get one eventually, keep all of the good parts.  You'll appreciate them later.

5 hours ago, wheee! said:

Actually, your car sounds like most of the one I have seen lately.... Salvageable but still a lot of work..

Yes, true….but that is why we love them. My interior was shot, bad paint, missing passenger floor pan and rail, rust holes in all the usual places, no front bumper and evidence of questionable attempts at various failed repairs. Some folks would have called it a POS, I saw it as fertilizer for my soul.:D

• Like 2

if the body is shot, you're not up to doing the resto, but you want a z - then Zed is right: salvage every single bit that's in good shape, clean 'em up and you will be extremely happy you have them when you find another one. best case (if you have the space) is just keep it parked and use as a parts car for your project.

i was surprised by two things when i cleaned up my 280: how inexpensive/easy to find some parts are, and how ridiculously expensive and rare other ones are - and it's not intuitive either, so don't toss out anything.

• Like 1

Definately interesting discussion. I've really don't want to give up on this car. I printed a bunch of manuals out last night and tried to get in contact with the previous owner. If I can get the engine working, I'm definately in on this car. Right now it's the only thing going for it but I've seen worse cars! I won't have an opportunity to look at it until the weekend but I'll update you guys then!

Out of curiosity what parts are expensive to find for these cars?

30 minutes ago, 66corvair said:

Out of curiosity what parts are expensive to find for these cars?

Off the top of my head, heater valve, fuel sender, gas tank are not cheap for a 77/78'.  They are still available though. But it is usually the odd part that you need the most that is hardest to find and the most expensive. That is true for any car.

33 minutes ago, wheee! said:

It's usually the last part you need in any given assembly...

Ain't that yhe truth. And it seems like the seller has a sixth sense telling him you're desperate and will eventually pay whatevrr he asks.

• 2 weeks later...

Got some more pics taken this weekend and a tad bit more work done.

Pulled valve cover and it had oil on camshaft from turning it over. Still poured directly on the cam but didn't turn it over this time. Other than that I got the flat tires fixed and pulled the front bumper mounts off.

IMG_7321.JPG

IMG_7322.JPG

IMG_7325.JPG

IMG_7320.JPG

• Like 1