IGNORED

69-73 240z Original

oemz

1 hour ago, oemz said:

I'll double check when I get home. I'm looking for more of a raw aluminum finish personally so I might have it hydro blasted depending on the finish.

I had my valve cover hydro-blasted recently. http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/11264-safari-brown-i-mean-gold-the-nsw-project/?p=171715

Edited by Gav240z

On 1/20/2016 at 10:35 AM, oemz said:

Beautiful Z Steve. I've seen pictures of your car on the internet while searching for one and admired it very much. Your engine bay is immaculate, factory looking and how I prefer mine to be.

I've just came to the conclusion that I want a Z I can drive and enjoy without worrying too much about how original everything is. I already have a 1988 300zx Turbo Shiro SS with 8k miles and a 1991 300zx Twin Turbo with 15K miles that fulfill that, and I can't enjoy them as much other than a few shows throughout the year. 

I don't know, looking at your engine bay now just makes me now want to go all factory with the right plating, factory Airbox, etc. and make it look correct. I love that also. We'll see.

Yes, it was in San Jose, Ca. I flew out there and drove it back to LA. I believe this car belonged to a member here prior to the person who I bought it from. It was also once sold on Barret Jackson from my research.

Thanks to all for the positive comments.

Thanks for the kind words about my old car, Oemz. The engine bay detail was the last phase that I completed on the car. I had driven the car for over a year while slowly working on the engine bay. I had extra parts on hand that I dropped off at a shop that did the cadmium plating for me and then slowly switched the parts out. I stripped the old paint off the factory air box, then primed and spray-painted it. After that, I bought the reproduction factory stickers from Banzai Motorworks. I was able drive and enjoy the car during the entire process. Once I traded out the old parts, I would have the old parts plated and then sold them, which more than covered my costs for the plating services.

I've never owned a Series I car before and you are very fortunate to have such a solid example, particularly a White/Blue Series I. That combo, along with the Blue/Blue combo are probably the 2 rarest combos out there and are my personal favorites.

15 hours ago, Patcon said:

I sort of like the polished look, but each to his own. Water jetting could be cool just for the ability to keep a more satin finish clean

I got a nice raw satin finish with 80 grit coal slag through a suction tube sandblaster, fuel rail too.  220 grit sandpaper for the raised lines and "Nissan-OHC".  Then sprayed it with high heat clear satin.  Looks better in person though, this picture was more for the intake.

new 280 intake.jpg

Wow both Valve covers look really nice, thanks for sharing.

Interesting that all the videos and pictures of Z's that I liked and admired most are being re-posted back here.

Steve,

Your Z came out amazing. Pictures have been saved!!

Gav,

The video of Adam's Z is one of my all time favorites. A clean, simple performance build is what I also like. 

I'll be definitely reading more in depth from the link you posted up, thanks.

I know I want wheels, and so far am leaning towards 15x8, 0 offset, but i'm still researching to find the proper stance that I like. I'm trying to avoid rolling fenders to not mess with the originality of the car so we'll have to see. My goal is basically a clean, factory looking body with either R Type Watanabe wheels or Minilites, etc.. Clean and simple. Like the one in the attachment minus the rear air dam/spoiler and front fender mirrors..

I can then start to focus on performance. The OS Giken dual cam setup would be the ultimate for me, but a Les Collins, Datsun Spirit, Rebello, or similar type setup would be just fine. I'm going to wait for Z Car Garage to update me on the cost for an OS setup, but i'm sure it's going to be be $$$$$.

I just order new OEM Tokico rear wheel cylinders and Datsun competition shoes for the rear drums I'm planning on servicing this weekend.

I'm excited and cant wait on this slow but fun build I've been thinking about all these years. :)

Hey HR,

Mine was missing the girl when I bought it, I think i got ripped off. She's cute!

FullSizeRender.jpg

Edited by oemz
  • Like 1