IGNORED

Trip Down the "Mother Road" Route 66

Marty Rogan

Traveling Route 66 in your '71 Z back in the day must give you some fond memories.  I hope to travel more of Rte 66, especially out west.  

It was quite a trip.  I had just gotten off active duty with the Air Force and the Z was totally packed with clothes, books, a TV, a tent, tools, all the necessities.  In fact, it sat so low that I had to put spacers in the rear spring coils to keep the tires from rubbing sheet metal.  Oh, to be young and foolish, again.

I hope you have as much fun as I did when you make your trip.

Dennis

If you get a chance look up a TV series  called Bill Connolly's Route 66.  It's a fairly contemporary program, from 2011, and he drives Route 66 end-to-end in a trike, so the views will not be from the inside of a closed-in vehicle.  You will see the same restored and un-restored places and buildings and roads, and even some of the places you won't see or read about in videos or books.

Enviously cool trip! BTW, is that a proper Cobra or replica?

As the Captain said, it is not an original.  It is a Factory Five Cobra with an enormous amount of details that make it look like an original.

Although the Super Bird is the real deal.  That's probably a $150,000 car. 

If it 'looks good' then it probably not an original, so only  real car enthusiasts will like it.  Cobras shouldn't have much detail besides engine, gas cap, 1 or 2 seats, tachometer.  I've asked people if they have ever used the quick-lift jack brackets, and they usually say, "it's just for looks."

Mine is all original, so people tell me to put in leather seats, nice stereo, "nice paint"  and a "new engine with turbo?"

Edited by TomoHawk

No wonder that Cobra looked sooo good. Nice replica.

He is not trying to pass it off as an original.  In fact he affectionately call it "The Phobra".

Factory Five produces a VERRRRY nice product.  The engineering in the suspension on that thing is impressive. It handles way better than an original would.  He has a stroked 347 engine in it pumping out 425 H.P., that makes that car scary fast in 2,000lb body.