IGNORED

Wheel and tire size recommendations

dvorak

Mitchell, that's why I went with 16" wheels, but like Chickenman, I think the OD is too big.  When I got my 16" wheels, there were very few good 15" summer tires, but since then, there are actually more on the market.  On my race car, I will use 225/45R15 and I might try to switch my street car to 225/45R16 rather than the 225/50R16 tires I currently run.  The 205's are just a bit too narrow for my needs.

Toyo R1R are VERY wide in a 205/45x16". Cheater size!!

Toyo R1R are VERY wide in a 205/45x16". Cheater size!!

Good to know.  I'm pretty sure that my Hankook RS2 225/50R16 tires are on the wide side as well.  They rub more than other tires of the same size.

I work in the auto industry with performance cars and sizes are only a general indication of actual size.  A stack of four tires can easily vary by several inches in height from brand to brand.  

Some tires are much more trapezoidal than others as well.  The listed tire size is the sidewall width, not the tread width, so a tire that is very square will have a much wider tread than a trapezoidal tire.

There is a good article written by a pro racer friend of mine that helps explain tires.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/3974/How-to-PROPERLY-select-and-size-TIRES-for-PERFORMANCE.aspx

Guys,

There is lots of good info on this forum so thanks for the input. I am a little shy about investing $600 in new tires  plus $600 in new wheels without a little clarity so let me ask you about my car situation. After reading all the good stuff on this forum, it seems that the 16X7 Konig wheel with 225*50*16 tires seems like a good selection. I have a 78 280z with stock suspension height and an air dam in the front. Will this size wheel and tire fit without any rubbing? Thanks for your input in advance.

^ If you have an Airdam that replaces the front corner valances,  the 225/50 x16's should clear easily depending on Airdam style.

Have a look at the clearance on the front tire of my car, at the back edge of the Airdam corner. If you compare this to the stock side corner valances, you will see that my Airdam's back edge sweeps forward more and give more tire clearance. 

With stock corner valances, 225/50 x16's will catch on the back edge of the Valance when turned. ( Wider tire and wheel than stock ) With most Airdam's they do not because of the re-profiling in that area. .

BTW, my car ( 1976 280Z )  is lowered a good 1" in those pictures ( MSA Eibach kit ) . Stock height suspension would clear even more.

Stock 1978 280Z. 225/50 x16's will catch back of Valance edge on 16 x 7" rims.

202906390_1978NISSANDATSUN280Z.jpg

My1976 280Z with Airdam that will clear 225/50x16's.

IMG_20140830_150537.jpg

1978 280Z with an Airdam that does not sweep forward. 225/50x16's would rub the back edge of the Airdam corner on this style:

fea2cf94cd3f11e19e4a12313813ffc0_7.jpg

Edited by Chickenman

Warren. From personal use, I can highly recommend the Continental Extreme Contact DW for our region. I've got about 5,000 miles on mine now. Barely scuffed in.

Awesome tire in the wet and dry. Very smooth rolling, very quiet and sticks like glue. Wet performance is especially good.

Tire Rack has a sale on these right now. 225/50x16 Regular price = $402.04 ( Set of 4 ) Rebate price = $332.04 ( Set of 4 ) . 205/55 x16's are also on sale. $319.08 ( set of 4 )

Edit: Thought I'd add this. 225/50 x16 tires ( any brand ) have VERY heavy steering on a 280Z. Be prepared to put some muscle in it when parking. Not a girly car at all. My biceps have grown an inch driving my 280Z this summer. Not kidding!!

For easier steering go with a 205/55 x16 ( available in Conti Extreme Contact DW ) which is the same outer diameter as a 225/50 x 16... or be prepared to install electric power steering. Electric power steering is actually very nice. A buddy of mine has 275/40 x17's on the front of his 240Z with electric power steering and the car is a joy to drive in Town now.

Edited by Chickenman

Guys,

There is lots of good info on this forum so thanks for the input. I am a little shy about investing $600 in new tires  plus $600 in new wheels without a little clarity so let me ask you about my car situation. After reading all the good stuff on this forum, it seems that the 16X7 Konig wheel with 225*50*16 tires seems like a good selection. I have a 78 280z with stock suspension height and an air dam in the front. Will this size wheel and tire fit without any rubbing? Thanks for your input in advance.

It depends on the specific tire you choose.  A summer-only tire will likely have square shoulders and will most likely rub in the rear.  Mine rubbed severely until I trimmed about 10mm of the weld flange off the fender lips.  I tried rolling them first, but that wasn't enough.  Getting wheels with a +6mm offset will help on both the front and rear.  MSA's Panasports are +6mm, I believe.  My Panasports are zero offset as are the Konigs.

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered Rota RBR in 16X8 +10 today and planning on 225/50 Continental DW's as well.  Have those tires on my 96 TT and they're excellent, light weight too.  I'll try and post a pic once things get installed.  Eibach Pro ket springs on my '71.

• 4 weeks later...