IGNORED

Need 81 280Zx Cylinder head and camshaft p79 ASAP. FLORIDA

pavelow42

I have ONLY concerns about CaliforniaDatsun's quality. Lots of bad talk on the sites about them. I only need one and he has what I need at a good price. BUT I can not afford to wait two weeks and then get a shitty quality product in hand. Do others have good experience with them lately?

There are people on this forum still waiting to have problems resolved.  You'll probably get an assemblage of new and reworked parts that may or may not be assembled correctly.  You'll need to check everything and probably do some finishing work yourself.

Interested to see what you get.  Please follow-up.

It was good talking to you today, Tim. Ask the Cal Datsun guy what has been done to rebuild the head. New valve guides? Valves? Springs? Valve seats? I'd assume that the head has been resurfaced or at least checked for straightness.

Chuck

If you go to Ebay Item 151810197981, it will list the item from California-Datsun.  If you page down he makes strong claims about quality and exactly what he does to the refurbish.

He has a 99.1% satisfaction rate on EBay....????  or 10,000 reviews??

what gives?

Ebay reviews aren't an accurate indicator of quality. Neither are anecdotal accounts. However, in threads where Al Allen has posted, people have raised questions on the quality of products they purchased from him. He has responded with silence. That in of itself would make me hesitate to buy from him.

Also, there is the curious case that he has changed the name of his business several times. Al, if you are reading this, is there a reasonable explanation for that?

I searched on car-part.com, 2 within 30 miles of 33601 zip. And many more further out. If the local ones aren't good find someone who will ship. A used head is better than an unknown "rebuild" head from someone with questionable quality. Didn't find any on Craigslist within a 1000 miles of you...

• Like 1

Good luck pavelow42.  Because it looks like luck is the key.  

Check the wipe pattern of the cam lobes on the rocker arms, check all threaded holes for damage, check head thickness to see how much its been shaved (you might need cam tower shims to get cam timing right), etc.  Check the cam to see if it's been reground.  Don't trust the words in the ads.  You'll save yourself a lot of do-over time.