IGNORED

Sealing an oil pan

siteunseen

6 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Another question while we're talking about such things... I've noticed that they used a number of different designs for the heat shield between the pan and the exhaust. I've got three different versions here. Top two are one style, third is different, and bottom is different again:
P1170175.JPG

Question for the Z trivia guys... Anyone know the lineage? What year(s) used which style?

1453659659727.thumb.jpg.839f3cdcc20cc7c4111ae7b6b1a28842.jpg

This is a '79 F54 ZX pan and backers. Looks like the 3rd in CO's box. But mine has an extension on the top towards the rear. It was a 2+2 ZX if that scratches your itch a little more.

Site, the shield in your pic is the top two in my collection. It's the only one that pushes inward towards the front to follow the contour of the pan. The others in my pic don't do that.

AZDatsun, My 77 also has that top two design as well, so with your data point and Site's, it appears that style was used at least on 77, 78, and 79.

According to the documentation, all the 240, 260, 280 used the same part number for that support - 11123-N4200. There is another part number listed for the 240 and 260- 11123-N3300, but I suspect that was for the very early cars and was quickly superseded by the later number. So they may have changed the shape of that heat shield on different years, but they never considered the change to be significant enough to warrant a change in part number? Form, fit, and function, they are all interchangeable apparently?

I have no visibility into the part numbers for the ZX stuff... Does anyone know if they used a different version on the turbo? I ask, because one of these may be from a turbo motor, but to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself.