IGNORED

Stainless steel headers, exhausts and JDM twin-pipe mufflers.

Sean Dezart

5 hours ago, Sean Dezart said:

The definition of 'performance' is surely to lose the smog-kits which stifle a Z's performance !

Depending on the year and location, unfortunately, some don't have a choice on that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ta240 said:

Depending on the year and location, unfortunately, some don't have a choice on that.

That's hard !:(

If all that is missing is the hole into which to plug something, I can supply a plug and screw-thread bung and someone drill out the hole themselves.

On 6/2/2016 at 4:52 PM, Matthew Abate said:

I've seen some headers with smog ports. Is that going to be an option on these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do you need smog ports? Does NJ smog-test 240Zs?

CA does not, the testing cutoff is 1975 and Zs did not have smog ports by that time.

My '73 has a smog system.

To me, performance means the cleanest emissions I can get with the maximum power, handling, and mileage possible. It's not a track car.

Could be wrong, but the performance hit should be negligible considering the rest of the mods I'm doing.

From the NJ MVD:

The following vehicles must undergo a New Jersey emissions inspection prior to vehicle registration and then again every 2 years*:

Vehicles 5 model years old and older that are:

Gasoline-powered, bi-fueled, or diesel-powered.

AND

Plated as:

Passenger.

Not-for-profit.

Governmental.

Commuter vans.

Diesel-powered vehicles that:

Are model year 1997 and newer.

AND

Weigh 8,500 lbs. or fewer.

* Some vehicles, such as commercial motor vehicles, buses, and taxis, require safety AND emissions inspections annually. Refer to About the NJ Vehicle Inspection Program below for details.

Seriously, if that "performance means the cleanest emissions I can get with the maximum performance and mileage possible" is the case, you want to be running programmable Efi or at worst, run a standard twin-carb set-up upon which your smog system can be fitted if not already present.

If you have to comply with local emaissions laws, THAT is what comes first and will determine mileage and performance is just what is left over after satisfying the first two criteria.

My system caters for those who can (and want to) place performance first and have taken steps to ensure that their engine is giving its best (within their own individual budgets of course) without too much regard to mileage. Any decently set up engine should be reasonably good on emissions but triple carbs are notorisouly difficult to set up for tickover, town driving and high rev moments (track or simply a good open-road drive) ; the fuel ricness cant be made to be perfect all the way up the curve as it can with Efi so at some low-rev point, it's gonna be too rich and therefore way ott on emissions - nothing to do with the header or exhaust.

It's a 'life-sentence' Chris :-) !

And always striving to improve/add to the range but its a lot of money and time for a 'on-the-side hobby/business' so takes time.

Spare parts always available too for those little misshaps along the way whilst drive your Zs !

2 hours ago, Sean Dezart said:

It's a 'life-sentence' Chris :-) !

And always striving to improve/add to the range but its a lot of money and time for a 'on-the-side hobby/business' so takes time.

Oh I hear you on that, a few years back I did a run of triangulated shock tower brace bars, by the time they were all sold I calculated that I was working for $6 an hour. Anyone who builds a needed product for our cars is doing all of us a favor.

DSCN0019.JPG

DSCN0020.JPG

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

My system caters for those who can (and want to) place performance first and have taken steps to ensure that their engine is giving its best (within their own individual budgets of course) without too much regard to mileage. Any decently set up engine should be reasonably good on emissions but triple carbs are notorisouly difficult to set up for tickover, town driving and high rev moments (track or simply a good open-road drive) ; the fuel ricness cant be made to be perfect all the way up the curve as it can with Efi so at some low-rev point, it's gonna be too rich and therefore way ott on emissions - nothing to do with the header or exhaust.

Sure, but right now my intention is to run the stock manifold with SUs, not triples (although I am investigating going that route), so not relevant to what I'm doing.

However, that DOES remind me that I should ask if this setup works with the stock intake. I've seen that several don't (fujitsubo, possibly Trust). I assume they work on LHD given the people commenting, but haven't seen anything about the intake question, and I'm not sure if those limitations are due to the heat shield not fitting and therefore not providing a mount for the return spring, or if it's the crossover pipe or the carbs themselves interfering.