IGNORED

What do you use to tow or trailer your Z with?

Hardway

You want to be sure the trailer brakes activate before your tow vehicle does. Most controllers have a recommended starting point. Obviously how much load you have, the trailer braking system and driving conditions are all variables. You will have to play with the adjustments while you are on a road test. You do not want the trailer brakes to lock up in a hardstop (not servere) but you do want the trailer to do a lot of the braking in that situation. That helps to keep the truck and trailer in a straight line stop.

I have a 2009 Lexus GX470.  It has the same V8 that the Toyota Tundra has and is rated at 6,500 lbs towing capacity.  Although I don't tow a Z behind it anymore.  I have a Featherlite aluminum trailer that weighs about 1,100 lbs, and my Bondurant Mustang weighs 3,410, so about 4,500 lbs total.  I hardly know it is behind me when towing.

I use a Teckonsha (sp?) brake controller. It has a adjustment wheel that you can turn until the truck and the tralier are stopping approximately at the same rate.

Overall, I am really happy with this set up.

Marty

I've been towing my race car for 4 years now. I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 with the Hemi and 3.92 gears. It has a heavy fiberglass cap. I started with a bed full of spare parts/tools and pulled an open trailer. Maybe 600 lbs of parts, tools, etc. Trailer and car weighed about 3900 pounds. I had no trouble towing that and got a best of 17.5 mpg. Typical mpg was 14.5. The trailer has brakes. I recently hauled a 3500 lb AAR cuda and had no trouble even on long hills.

Last year I bought a 20' enclosed trailer. Trailer and car weigh a little under 6500 lbs. I have an Anderson WD/anti-sway hitch. Love it! I've also installed air bags on my truck to keep things level. I have no trouble on the flatter road but the truck has to downshift on hills. Going to VIR and Pocono I have to pull some long hills and the turck has to work. It does it fine and I can maintain 55mph. I get about 9.5mpg pulling the enclose trailer.

I suggest getting at least 3.55 gears unless you get a nice diesel then gears won't matter. Get some kind of WD hitch with anti-sway. If the back of the truck sags then get air bags. Pump up all tires to the max. LT tires help too. You'll want a brake controller and maybe some tow mirrors.

In normal driving I get 17-21mpg without a trailer. The 2013+ Hemi Rams have 8-speeds and would be an excellent choice. Another option is the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel. Guys on their forum have gotten over 30mpg and close to 20mpg pulling something like you have. 3.55 gears on either of those would work fine for you. I'm considering an EcoDiesel for myself.

Chuck

Chuck just listed exactly all the right equipment to buy.  Weight distribution hitch, airbags if necessary and a nice trailer brake controller like Zulaytr detailed.  With those three things on a decent truck you can reach towing nirvana.  Seriously though give the ecoboost a good look, it sounds right up your alley. 

post-22465-0-93996500-1437052601_thumb.j

I've towed Zs on trailers with Datsun 620 pickups and Ford F350 pickups.  By far, the most important towing component is the driver.  Don't be in a hurry, look far ahead, keep the towing vehicle and trailer in top condition, and buy new trailer tires every 5 years.