IGNORED

What do you think of the new 350 z?

Mike

Do you like Nissan's new 350 Z car?  

173 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Nissan's new 350 Z car?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure yet

Here an article that I have discovered online according to

z-networks.net

"The Nissan Z Concept promises to inspire a production Z that delivers superior performance and passionate styling, all at an attainable price. Nissan design studios in Japan, the U.S. and Europe helped develop its look. Z's traditional long wheelbase and wide stance served as a starting point. A distinct spine, fluid curves and high tech accents round out Z's new look beautifully. A state-of-the art, driver-oriented interior compliments the exterior. An with 260-plus hp and a 6-speed manual transmission, the new Z remains true to its performance heritage - all for under $30,000."

Performance Specifications

Engine VQ-SERIES V6 (Pathfinder Engine)

Horsepower (SAE) 260 BHP

0-60 MPH <6.0 SEC.

More digging and searching gave me more information on the new Z. Believed to be called the 350Z or 350ZX. Supposedly having a 58/42 weight distribution and believe to make it from 0-60 MPH in the low 5's (Believe to be 5.2 - 5.6 secs). "The details on the Production 350Z as specified by Nissan. (yes, this is official)"

Overall Length (mm) 4310 or 169.814 in

Overall width (mm) 1815 (or 71.511 in)

Overall height (mm) 1310 (or 51.614 in)

Seating capactity 2

Wheelbase (mm) 2650 (or 104.41 in)

Track front/rear (mm) 1535/1535 (or 60.479/60.479 in)

Drive configuration FR

Engine VQ35DE

Transmission 6MT

Suspension Multi link/Multi link

Tire front/rear 225/45 R18 91W 245/45 R18 96W

Aside from that info, as of yet, no offical weight has been annouced, but it is said to be lighter than the 300ZX, at uner 1,400 Kg or 3,080 pounds. Unoffical release date is said to be Oct. 24 of next year or mid 2002, but uncertain at the time.If I left anything out, I'm sorry don't flame me if some info is wrong I looked a numerious sites over the past few days and most site have different info on display. hopes this info helps any of you out there.

:confused:-Jesse

For the most part, it's everything the "Z"-ophites aksed for before they saw it. I think if they would have sharpened the nose, the hard liners would still be drueling. This is a proven racing type front end. Drivability and performance is car was biult around (again). With only 260 hp from a 3.5L I would say there is a lot of room for tinkering. 300+hp will be easily attainable. They were nice enough to put enough rubber to the road with 235/35's. Looks to me like with a little suspension and engine modifications and it's time to "Tear'em Up".

So ? Whachuthink ?

I'll buy one and I'll race one, the fiberglass racing bodies are supposed to be available in mid 2002, and the VQ engine is a gold mine of power. Arch Angel racing uses the VQ engine in their MP light cars, and they last and win.

Krys Dean:cool:

I can't say for certain. I've owned a 280zx turbo (first car), then bought a 91 300zx, but now have been working on a restoration/modification project for almost 2 yrs on my 71 240Z.

when they announce the new Z they stated that it was a cross between the original and last generation 300zx. I don't see much of the 240Z in there except for the three center gauges (sort of). I'm glad that they didn't really copy it 100% though. That keeps the original unique still I think. I'll have to judge it when I see one up close. I'm not crazy about the look on the rear lights though. Interior I like though. We'll see in May 2002 at the dealers. Whatever the case I doubt I can bring myself to hate one.

PapaZ

The fantasy Z I would buy for $35,000 will have rear wheel drive first of all and a DOHC intercooled supercharged power plant capable of 300 horsepower at the wheels. Red line 8500 rpm. It would be made of all stainless steel body panels and max weight of 2800lbs. It would have aluminum wheels,rear racing wing. Absolutely NO electric mirrors,windows, cruise control,rear wiper,electric antenna,or power steering. A/C will be the only option. "BUILD IT THEY WILL COME." Maybe this is why the 240z was so popular it had manual everything and none of the luxury crap. I am curious if any of you guys would want a new Z like the one I described. :cool:

Yeh, why not? I would certaining be interested in something more purpose built and performance based. Sounds like a good power to weight ratio and just as long as it handles like a go-kart through the corners. Maybe mid-engine rear wheel drive configuration would be tempting also. What about the McLaren style central driver position and side mounted passenger seats slightly to the rear. Don't have to worry about selling the car in two different configurations then.

Ok, the people at Nissans design center have way too much IKEA furnature, because the interrior came out of someones living room. Way too contemporary and theres no flow to the cockpit. If you look at the interrior pics from R&T, there is some void space behind the instrument cluster- final designs will be interesting...Also no one mentioned on this forum about the front of the car. Isn't that the ugliest front you have seen on a sports car? I was comparing a 240 w/the 350 and although a 240 has all that opening in the front it 'works'. It looks like some big mouth on the 350Z, and the headlights could use some work too. Sorry all, but it's too bad Nissan couldn't have given the body to Pinafarina and let em mold a piece of Art. I can see the aftermarket body panels come out and look 10x better as soon as the car hits the streets? What are your thoughs?

Personally, I think it should have looked more like the 240Z than the 300ZX... where's the muscle? It just looks fat...

What I dislike most about it though is the tail lights. Maybe they'll look nicer in real life, but from the pictures I've seen they just look like some apprentice car designer has stuck on some "futuristic" red over half of the car.

I'm disappointed. Nissan has some stylish cars (e.g. Silvia) and some very muscular cars (e.g. Skyline) but they only seemed to use the stuff from the latter with the 350.

Can't do much about it now though... here's to the 400Z heh ;)