IGNORED

Hello and Please Help me with my 280Z

SilverSurfer

the filter is doing its job - but all filters have a minimum size particle they will retain (a micron rating) so very small pieces of crud will pas through and can build up in other areas of the system. also, when the filter is full, it restricts flow which can cause lean conditions.

You will get use to all the short words eventually. Its typical forum chat. Dizzy is common, but there are others.

Tranny - Transmission

Carb, Carbs or Carby - Carburetor.

The fuel filter looks very dirty for such a short time in use. I would seriously think about removing the tank and have it cleaned and coated. With todays fuels (mixed with ethanol) the rust deposits will onlt get worse and the tank could rust through and start leaking.

Here is a thread on doing the tank with POR-15

http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/49166-por-15-gas-tank-repair/

Chas

You will get use to all the short words eventually. Its typical forum chat. Dizzy is common, but there are others.

Tranny - Transmission

Carb, Carbs or Carby - Carburetor.

The fuel filter looks very dirty for such a short time in use. I would seriously think about removing the tank and have it cleaned and coated. With todays fuels (mixed with ethanol) the rust deposits will onlt get worse and the tank could rust through and start leaking.

Here is a thread on doing the tank with POR-15

http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/49166-por-15-gas-tank-repair/

Chas

Yep. I am familiar with 'tranny', 'carb', and I am sure a few others, too. But 'dizzy' was new to me. I will learn (and I will ask questions). ;)

Yep, the filter was much filthier than I expected. It's been installed for about a month (a little less), but I've only put about 100+ miles on the car in that time.

Unfortunately, there is no place near me that does the tank 'clean and coat'. I'll either have to do the work myself or send it off to some place. I plan to do the work myself.

Thanks for the link. That will certainly help.

It's easy enough to do yourself if you have a little space. I have never used Por-15 but have heard nothing but good about it. I opted for a less expensive tank liner, Red-Kote. $50 for everything, $30 for quart of the liner, 1 gallon muratic acid and quart of Acetone. A leaf blower helps and empty 5gal buckets, a few. One Saturday morning. It needs to cure though and that's about a week in my opinion, minimum.

I'm no expert but I've done a '77 280 and a 240 with good results. Three years on the two eighty and still clear. I'll put up some stuff to read when I get home.

Cliff

Thanks, Cliff. My main concern, having not done this before, is dropping the tank. But this just means me reading up on it and learning where everything is that I need to disconnect. I've seen that there are a few good tutorials out there, so I am sure that this won't be that difficult ... just a tad time consuming. I have a little over a half tank in the car now and have installed a new filter. I plan to run the car for a bit, get the gas down a lot more, and then drain it and have at it. :)

Also, while I am dropping the tank, I might as well take a look at something else - My gas gauge is not working. It moves from 'E' (when the car is off) to about 1/3 tank and sits there (when the car is on). I am guessing that the float is stuck. Is this something that can be fixed? What should I look for once I drop the tank? Or should I just go ahead and see if I can locate a new one?

I would try to fix the tank you have. Almost always easier. Run the car as low as possible. Fuel in the tank just makes it harder. The float may be hanging up or the resistor may be bad. You could also use some of the Eastwood tank sealer for the tank.

Okay! Here is what I've noticed the past few times I've run the car. I don't know if this helps at all, but I thought I would add it into the mix.

When I first put on the inline filter, I had filled up the tank to full. The car ran great for about an hour (on the highway and off). Then, as gas was used over time, I started to run into more and more trouble with the engine starting to run rough ... not continuously, but periodically. The more gas I used, the more I hit these stuttering and stammering spots (including a few times when I stalled out). Since my gas gauge is not working, I am using the tripometer to estimate how much gas is being used. In each case, the troubles start to increase after about 70 miles of gas use. When I get up to 95 or more miles, the car starts to have frequent stutters, especially under load (i.e. on the highway going over 50 MPH). Now, just to be clear, these miles aren't all put on the car at once. I am not driving 100 miles at one time, the car doing great for the first 70 and then slowly degrading as I drive. I am driving a few miles here and there (going to the store, going to pick up a part, going to visit a friend, or just going to take the car out on the highway).

Judging by the fill-ups and how much gas I had to put in compared to the tripometer, I am averaging about 15 MPG. So, after using about 5 gallons of gas (from a full tank), I start to get stutters periodically. After using about 6-7 gallons, the stuttering becomes a lot more frequent, making it hard to take the car anywhere.

Does this provide any useful information?

Edit: Here is something I forgot to mention above - I had filled up the tank twice after the previous inline fuel filter was installed. Both time I did it after running the car for about 90-100 miles worth of gas. Both times the car ran great on a full tank, but started to stutter and stammer more (periodically) as gasoline was used. This last time, I swapped out the inline filter (see images in my previous post above), but did not fill up on gas (I want to run the tank out so I can drop it and clean it). When I ran the car tonight on a fresh inline filter, I almost instantly had issues with stuttering. The car would run smooth at times, but would also stammer at times.

Yes, I am planning to get a gauge to measure fuel pressure. I just am waiting for my next paycheck to do so. Then I should be able to provide some additional information.

Edited by SilverSurfer