Clay Material in Exhaust Manifold - Pics Inside - Exhaust - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Clay Material in Exhaust Manifold - Pics Inside

Featured Replies

As I was in the process of pulling the E31 head on my ’71 240z I have been inspecting every part as it comes off.  The engine was rebuilt by the previous owner to stock specs but I have no paper work on it.  The reason for pulling the head is that I cannot get the intake vale #4 in to adjustment.  As I was inspecting the exhaust manifold there is a fair amount of rock hard clay like material on the inside of the manifold.  There is also traces of it in the exhaust pipe but not as built up.  Can someone tell me what this is from?  It appears it would come off rather easily but I have tried chiseling some of it off with a flat head screw driver but it is not budging.  Should I be worried?  Does it warrant buying a new header?

 

ExManifold01.jpg

 

ExManifold02.jpg

 

ExManifold03.jpg

 

ExManifold04.jpg

Edited by Hardway

Looks like ceramic muffler patch compound. The metal between the sides corrodes. I plugged an EGR port with that stuff.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

From a book on performance tuning:

 

post-6852-0-48924700-1430740310.jpg

 

I think it initially comes from oil/carbon deposits that were never removed and eventually cooked over the years.  It can initially be deposited as oil from leaking valve seals or passing the rings.  I see similar when I clean the tubes in my oil fired furnace.

post-6852-0-48924700-1430740310_thumb.jp

  • Author

Thanks for the info guys.  Since it is on the exhaust side I don't think it is hurting anything.  I may take another stab at trying to get some of it off tonight.

  • 3 weeks later...

I saw the same buildup in my manifold. Was curious as well.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.