IGNORED

Clutch Slave Cylinder Stainless Steel Hose Doesnt Fit

Kurbycar32

I have a slave cylinder that came off of my running motor/transmission and the decrepit rubber tube needs replacing.  I was already making an order at the Z store so i added their stainless steel hydraulic tube to my basket:  http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic22b01e/21-2171.  After pulling the rubber tube i found that the stainless tube has a much longer connector at the slave cylinder side.  I threaded it in anyway and found that the tube bottoms out before making a connection.  Are one of these parts incorrect?

post-22465-0-59366600-1428938578_thumb.j

post-22465-0-73918200-1428938579_thumb.j

post-22465-0-80020500-1428938580_thumb.j

Edited by Kurbycar32

Stainless steel braided clutch hoses aren't a factory item so you could argue that the hos is not "correct".  But the slave cylinder is an aftermarket replica, so it is also "incorrect".

MSA probably sourced a hose from a hose supplier based on diameter, thread size, and sealing surface.  But not length of threaded area.  You could cut the extra off and use it or send it back.  MSA may or may not appreciate being told that they sources a part that doesn't fit correctly.  Could also be that their supplier switched suppliers and supplied MSA with a part that doesn't work anymore.  Basically, somebody left a spec. of the spec. sheet.  It happens.

Or, it's possible that they think or maybe it actually does, seal(s) at the bottom of the hole.  I don't think its destined to seal that way though.  I remember having issues getting my hose and slave cylinder to seal well.  Flat on flat is a difficult pair to seal.

I would just call MSA and tell them the hose fitting is too long.  It's probably happened before.

am i correct in reading that you're using a brake line to a clutch slave? while it should certainly work as a generic pressure line, the fittings may be designed differently. as Zed says above, no harm in cutting it down to where the crush washer does its job - be sure the sealing surfaces are good and clean, as a little bit of grit will bring heartache.

of course the above advice assumes that the hose length is the same (or at least long enough) for a brake line to work in this application. 

i edited the post to remove the word brake, its a hydraulic hose built for this purpose but not a brake tube.

The slave cylinder was replaced about two years ago but it exactly matched what came off of the car, being 40 years old though it may have been replaced by the PO so who knows.  The tube though I am convinced is OEM and is clearly shorter than the replacement part.  I emailed MSA with pictures but have not received a reply yet.  i could cut the threads off but i was worried about the tapered end and the narrow center section of the threaded tube fitting, i dont know how far down the fitting the narrow part goes

Edited by Kurbycar32

IF I was in a hurry or didn't want to bother with MSA, I'd cut and grind the end, then clean it up and use a new crush washer.  But I have a grinder, and a vise and a few other tools.

When I was looking for a replacement clutch hose like that but rubber, just an inexpensive one, and wasn't in a hurry, I found that essentially all of the rubber hoses at all of the auto parts stores and all over the internet, are the same hose and come from one place.  So I bought one locally and it was not great quality and took a few tries with a new washer and probably overtorqueing to get it to seal.  It's one of those odd low-volume parts. 

And, if you look in the manual, and various sources, the factory didn't seem to use a crush washer.  So you may have a hose for the factory style cylinder that won't fit well on aftermarket slaves.

post-19298-0-73071600-1428949212_thumb.p

Called MSA on the phone after not receiving a reply to my email.  Garret on the phone was familiar with the issue and stated that the connection gets made on the inside of the slave cylinder and the nut at the top doesn't not fit flush as expected, so this whole situation is "normal".  im not sure how i feel about that fitment

That hose is indeed shorter on the slave cylinder side.  Earls hose is a subsidiary of Holley so its a big company at least, that doesn't speak to their quality but i guess this is their chance to prove how well their customer service works.  Im going to contact Earls and see whats up, maybe they can make me a new hose or refer me to another model.

Edited by Kurbycar32

Im not sure if its different in connections or maybe just the length of the hose, but you quoted in the original post a ss hose for the 280ZX. You have a link to the 21-2171, but the 21-2170 fits the 240 to 280Z.

Could there be a difference between the two in the connections area? You could ask the guys at MSA for clarification on that. Must be a reason for the two part numbers.

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic22b02e/21-2170

Chas