IGNORED

Screen Names - Where Do They Come From?

Bambikiller240

The idea for my screen name came about when I was trying to think of a vanity plate for the Z (which one ???). I was down to three alternatives:

DADDZ, DADDSUN, DADS END. I wanted to incorporate something of the company's heritage. 'DATSUN' was too obvious and since my last name is Dadd why not combine 'DADD' with 'SUN', in any case DADDZ won out. Besides which the Hunter 30 was already using 'DADS END' (a Tolkien reference).

For Buck the 'SUN-MOON' was also a great idea. Those Datsun racing historians out there will no doubt catch that one.

• 9 months later...

Yair, O.K., so this is an old, old thread.

I disinterred it from the thread graveyard mainly for one purpose;

To ask gunner rob a question.

Where does QUACKWACKER come from ???????????????

The other reason is that we have quite a few new members who might like to contribute.

Rick.

:devious: :devious:

.....For Buck the 'SUN-MOON' was also a great idea. Those Datsun racing historians out there will no doubt catch that one.

Were you referring to the two 70's dealerships in Southern California?

Sun Datsun in Whittier and Moon Datsun in Lakewood? I wouldn't consider myself a historian but I do recall buying parts from both of those dealerships.

Yair, O.K., so this is an old, old thread.

I disinterred it from the thread graveyard mainly for one purpose;

To ask gunner rob a question.

Where does QUACKWACKER come from ???????????????

The other reason is that we have quite a few new members who might like to contribute.

Rick.

:devious: :devious:

Hi Rick, I kill incompetent doctors. JUST KIDDING!

Actually here's the explanation...While driving around a blind corner at about 50 mph, I killed a duck that was walking across the road. When I came upon him, he tried to launch straight up to avoid the collision and hit my car just above my windshield.

I'm a moderately insane white guy with curly hair, a severe case of megalomania and an annoyingly large vocabulary.. Oh, don't forget the big nose. Never forget the nose...... The moniker is also available at most sites (As is my name, but I'd rather not toss it to every member of every forum I visit. This is due largely to the fact that megalomania and paranoia are but two sides of the same twisted coin.)

I hope that posting in this old thread is okay - I am not really clear about the protocols surrounding dated threads.

1978 was my novice year when I began car rallying in a Datsun P510. My very first event was a full on 1500+ kilometre Australian Rally Championship event where we won our class due more to knowledge of the rules and late time limits than driving skill. In fact I drove that event on less than 24 hours notice after substituting my original entry as a co driver which was withdrawn due to the brand new car being totalled the day before the event (please do not ask for this long story).

The sponsor of the original car was mildly impressed with what looked like a promising start to my rally career and was considering transferring his sponsorship from the totalled car to my car.

As a sweetener I offered to drive him while he navigated for me in a clubman (introductory) event. We had a few lessons about navigation events etc and we started the event as car #1 – numbers having been drawn from a hat.

I could not believe my luck when the route took us up to an area that I knew extremely well. We drove through stages that bordered my uncles’ farms, down realignments I had known about since I was a kid, down roads that I practiced on etc. I knew these roads so well that the navigator only had to work out where we had to go and I could drive the stage while he worked out the next stage on the map. Not only that, but I knew the roads so well that I could drive blind on the bends, through puddles and in a general at a pace that my normal level of bravery and skill did not allow for.

My navigator and possible future sponsor was awesome and was totally on the ball. We were creaming the event and at the start of the last competitive stage we had not incurred a single time penalty and were ten minutes ahead of our nearest rival in a field of about 40 cars.

Part way into the last stage we popped a fan belt but we elected to continue as a calculated risk thinking we had to protect our lead in the short distance to go, The short story is that we finished without penalty driving on a flashlight but cooked the motor but that was all worth it due to the fact that we thought we had won.

Regrettably, in all the excitement I had made an error on booking in earlier in the event and incurred a penalty for early arrival which cost us the lead and relegated us to third place.

In the space of a single clerical error I had gone from Boy Wonder to BOY BLUNDA.

Fortunately my sponsor was sufficiently impressed to continue his sponsorship for 9 years. Boy Blunda was the moniker painted on my door by the sponsor and for the rest of my rallying I continued to amuse the Western Australian rallying fraternity with my disasters eg. not finishing an event for two seasons without an electrical problem, completely rewiring the car and replacing all of the gauges only to have an electrical short start a minor fire on the very first event after the rewire, navigating for other people who then had electrical problems and so the list goes on.

Well I guess I will give my explination too. The "Z" and "71" are fairly obvious, as can be seen in my avitar, a 1971 240Z in beautiful 920 gold. The "guitar" is from my long time love affair with the guitar.

I started playing when I was 12, though I had a guitar when I was 11 I never really "played" it I started taking lessons when I was 12. That was 1982, 23 years later I still love the instrument and cannot put it down. I have greatly improved from those early days too. I started out with rock and roll moved to blues to jazz and now I am back to the blues and still play jazz as well. I grew up in Memphis TN and did not realize it at the time but it was a great city to learn to play the guitar. I go back to visit as much as possible and absorb the music when I am there.

I have 6 guitars currently one of which is for sale (http://www.gregboyd.com/img.asp?img=/images/acoustic/01HeritageEagle_1.jpg) if anyone is interested. I have old and new and inbetween guitars ranging from 1938 to 2001. The 2 I play the most are a Heritage "Super Eagle" ( 1999, large 18" hollow body arch top) and a Gibson "ES 347" (1981, thin simi-hollow body arch top). I have pictures of them sitting next to the Z I just have never posted them, mabey I should.

I do have a "day job" as an Arborist for the City of Missoula Montana but I suppliment my income with gigs as much as possible. Other than bar and dinner gigs I also play for the Missoula Cummunity/Children's Theatre (http://www.mctinc.org/framecom.htm) and for the University Of Montana's Theatre too. Believe it or not, tiny little Missoula MT has the largest and biggest budgeted community theatre in the country and tours the country with 12+ shows at all times. They have been great for me, they are very proffesional and I get my musical a$$ kicked every time I play a show. They always use top notch musicians so I have to keep myself in good shape to keep the gigs, mostly my music reading not my ability to play (how do you get a guitar player to turn down? Put sheet music in front of them).