IGNORED

1976 280Z Restoration Project

wheee!

The amount of force you putting on that pin makes me nervous.  I have visions of the pin mushrooming inside the strut and making it even more impossible to remove.  

If you have the tools to drill and cut threads on your pin puller couldn't you just drill the pin out?

Every time I have tried to use more force to remove or install a stubborn part I end up with something broken and more work to do.  Take a few minutes to see if you can think of any alternatives.    

Now THAT'S a press!! I think I just heard my wimpy little 20T press in my shop whimper in fear...

More rough back of the napkin calculations:

At an estimated 125K psi tensile strength for the spindle pin with approximately 0.69 square inches... It would take about 43 tons before the threaded porting tore off. So you can be confident that building a beefier puller device would probably never have worked anyway and would have been a waste of time. If it took 60 tons to move that thing, the tip would have ripped off long before it started to move.

We absolutely DO need to get together for drinks!!  I don't know if I'll ever get really close to you, but I am hoping to make it to ZCON 2016 in Toronto next year. That's not far from you, right? It's in Canada after all...    :D

ZCON would be awesome and my Car Club is sending a few representatives, but I will not be one of them unfortunately. Unless the military sends me to Ontario for something in the same time frame that I could sandwich it in! 

I knew I was in trouble when the air impact and nut remover tool starting hammering away at the opposite threaded end and the threaded portion of the spindle just tore off like butter... the other spindle spun nicely while being torqued. 

And yeah, I was very close to buying a small 30 tonne shop press for bushings and such and thought, hey! this should do the trick!....Glad I took it to work and realized it's not the press that's the problem here...

He's close, it's right next door like 3500Km or so...  LOL

It's not just that.....it's ONTARIO! ewwwwwwwwww..... LOL

The amount of force you putting on that pin makes me nervous.  I have visions of the pin mushrooming inside the strut and making it even more impossible to remove.  

If you have the tools to drill and cut threads on your pin puller couldn't you just drill the pin out?

Every time I have tried to use more force to remove or install a stubborn part I end up with something broken and more work to do.  Take a few minutes to see if you can think of any alternatives.    

Yes, I still have options. The ATF fluid is hopefully going to free up the pin for the press. Failing that, I have heat. If that still looks like the pin won't move before damaging other components, I have drill presses, milling machines, lathes, explosives......

• Like 1

Now it gets messy.  I used to give myself headaches looking at the bottom of my car and trying to figure out how to get all that crap stripped off.  

Have you watched any of the Eastwood videos on you tube?  There's a zed-sled (Z-28 camaro) series that's pretty informative.  Of course you have to take it with a grain of salt because it's one big Eastwood advertisement.  Still, very good learning experience for me.  

• Like 1

Haha!! Just like a big puppy dog!! Love it!

Sp welcome to the spindle pin club. Now that your hazing is complete, you're a full fledged member. Wish I had the tools you do!

Hey... Is that a welded stack of military grade nuts as a spacer?

You see nothing... LOL