IGNORED

1976 280Z Restoration Project

wheee!

Yes please, details on the coilovers. 
Wonder how old those outer tierods are. No grease zerks. The boots look deflated too. Just an observation. Wonder how long the PO drove it that way.

Inner and outer tie rods will be replaced along with full GTX lower control and tension rods.

Got busy with the suspension modification...
First up, I drilled two opposite holes near the top of the strut to drain the oil. The gland nuts are rusted and seized and I don't plan on saving these anyways. Drained the oil to make it safe to cut with the angle grinder/cutoff tool.
IMG_5855.JPG

Then I removed all the hub and rotor components off the front spindle.
IMG_5857.JPG

For the rears, I pushed the spindles out with the press before removing the backing plates. That gave me something to push against.
IMG_5858.JPG

Removed the backing plates and then marked out the cutoff point at 2" from the bottom.
IMG_5864.JPG

Cut off the strut and test fit the collar. I may remove a little more material for a more flush fit.
IMG_5859.JPG
IMG_5861.JPG

Did the same to the fronts. A little more creative cutting is needed to clear the spindle hub. Not impossible but the casing needs to be cut up a bit more to get the grinder in there.
IMG_5865.JPG
IMG_5869.JPG

And that's it for now....

• Like 1